Thanks

Can old PC w/xp go to win 7 or 8 without pain?

Friend has a old PC 2004 running XP home and 'Now' wants Win 8

Thanks
    Check the Win 8 Compatibility Center, then try Win 8 RP on it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The Windows 8 installer will also let you keep your personal files. if you use Windows Easy Transfer, you can also transfer your settings as well. It requires Service Pack 3 to be installed on the XP installation.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have heard of older PC's that run Win 8. It seems Win 8 works better than Win 7 on some of these. Drivers and memory resources seem to be the biggest concerns. If there is nothing worth saving on the old PC, what's the worst that can happen? If it's still a useable PC then you might wish to check Win 8 resource requirements.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It's best to make a full backup of your Win-XP partition, before mucking about with another OS, just in case you can't find the drivers for the new OS and are left with hardware that won't work, like sound, video or LAN.

Or just use a second hard drive for your experimenting and don't mess up an OS that already works, just in case you have to go back to it.

Be smart, not sorry!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    How much memory? How much hard drive space?

If you have enough memory (min 2 GB for Windows 7; not sure how much for Windows 8), then get a new hard drive, as big as you can afford, and install it in place of the old hard drive. Then do a clean install of Windows 8 on the new hard drive.

Then install your old hard drive as the 2nd drive. In this way it will be easy to copy all of your data from the old one to the new one.

You probably want a bigger monitor as well.

Benefits of installing a new hard drive?
    - Your current hd is getting old. It could fail soon.
    - Your current hd is probably small compared to what is available today.
    - By removing the old hd, and then doing the install, if Windows 8 just doesn't work for you on this PC, it will be very easy to go back to where you were -- just reinstall the old hd.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-10-22 at 16:07.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I can run Win 7 32-bit (64 needs more memory) very well on a vintage (2004-ish) 3000+ AMD Athlon single core system (2.2 GHz?) with one gig of RAM. Its not a good multitasking system of course but it runs everything in a timely manner as long as there aren't two major CPU-hogs working at the same time. Win 8 seems less ambitious than 7 graphically so it might even work a tad better, though its less likely to go back that far in driver support, and again, if you can't put at least 2 gigs of RAM in, use 32-bit.

I see one of the linked sites says about the same thing, although I'd be a little leery of the 1GHz minimum processor...maybe it is THAT much lighter on resources than Win 7, I dunno, but Win 7 needs about 1.7 GHz single core to run really well.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Today's Technology Pace Will Bite You!

Ok, I can understand experimenting with an eight year old XP computer. But even if Windows 7 or 8 does install and run, how pleasurable will the experience be? One can get from point A to point B in a Model T Ford or in a 2009 Ford.

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I run Windows 7 on a computer I bought in 2005 and it runs quite satisfactorily. Feels faster than when it had XP. 8 can't run there (CPU does not meet requirements).

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'Jag',

Yes, chances are Win8 will run on that old(er) machine. We know of instances of 8 being able to run on 'lesser', older, not very robust hardware; seemingly it will do better in that regard than 7 or certainly Vista. The x86 is known to run on less than the minimums specified. That said, I will agree & if, you were my client, would recommend the experience would, likely be better if the OS went on a newer machine. Here's a suggestion, though... since one can go w/ the Win8 Upgrade from XP, for $40 bucks, give that a shot; not a big investment, even, if you're not satisfied, @ the end of the day. And do back-up any wanted data from the XP, 1st.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I doubt that a processor from 2004 will be able to run Windows 8 as it requires a cpu that supports PAE, NX and SSE2. Most CPUs of that era don't support that functionality.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I doubt that a processor from 2004 will be able to run Windows 8 as it requires a cpu that supports PAE, NX and SSE2. Most CPUs of that era don't support that functionality.

Jerry
    Indeed, Jerry, that is quite possible and likely, even.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Oh, 2004, right, 8/9 yrs old, yeah might be pushing it a bit, eh? Well, it owes you nothing by now So, like we are saying, in such as case, would recommend new H/W.

Thanks
    That change to enforce the more stringent security on CPU's occurred with Win 8 RP. Win 8 CP would work just fine with older CPU's, Win 8 RP would not. Some CPU's and PC's can be used with a Bios update, many can not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted