New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Lots of scheduled tasks

Hi,

I recently discovered that right-clicking on the Desktop computer icon and selecting Manage, there is a way to open the Task Scheduler and view all scheduled tasks. I was amazed at the number of tasks listed under System Tools -> Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows. I saw that the Defrag task was queued to run at a future date. I did not want to run this task as I have an SSD and one shouldn't defrag an SSD. I deleted the task.

In general, will leaving the default tasks that are capable of running, slow down my system? Are any of these required to run? Please provide your guidance in managing these scheduled tasks.

badbigdad

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you having any relevant issues with your setup? If not, I wouldn't suggest doing anything about it. If you are, maybe post the list of tasks here, so that our members can help you with the proper knowledge about each task on your scheduled tasks list.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion

ruirib,

Thanks for you swift reply. No, I don't have any particular problems booting or running. I was just curious as to why MS had these tasks enabled with a new OS installation. Occasionally, I stumble on some facet of Win7 that I don't really know about.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Yes, Microsoft has a lot of scheduled tasks, by default, on Windows 7. They are used to perform a great number of tasks, not only but also for maintenance and monitoring.

Thanks
    Also, there was something recently about the scheduled defrag with an SSD drive. The Windows defragger does not actually do a defrag but an alignment I think. The OS can recognize an SSD. Someone with experience with SSD's can verify this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quite a few of the tasks are triggered by specific events or combinations of events, not scheduled according to time. Probably half of them have never run. A number of tasks in that list are disabled by default. Many are a normal part of Windows' routine operation.

I would advise against making any changes in those tasks or the way they are scheduled/triggered. You aren't likely to make any noticable gain in performance/speed/boot time, and there is a good chance of creating problems where none currently exist.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows