Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another imaging question

On both of my twinned computers (using a KVM switch) I have three HDs. One has 2 1T drives + one 750 M drive; the other, 3 1T drives. If I want to image either of them, do I need an array of more than 3T? Is imaging even possible now?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can always take an image of Windows - it's just a bunch of files. If the disks are in a RAID array you won't be able to clone them.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Moved here, to get proper attention.

Imaging apps usually compress the images, so the space required for each image is less than the used space in each drive. Take a look at your total space being used and you will get an idea of how much space you can get. With Acronis True Image, the app I use, around 30% savings is to be expected, when using the default compression.

Imaging is, of course, possible at any time.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When trying to use the Win7 MS tool, I am never able to image either system to a 1 TB external drive. Only an image. The result is always insufficent space.
    I do NOT have the drives in RAID format.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I would say try a 3rd app imaging tool, some have free versions (Macrium Reflect, EaseUS Todo Backup) or trial versions (Acronis True Image 2013). I use Acronis, other members prefer the free ones.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep. I'd circled around that option as well. Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Depends how your disks are set up. Is Windows installed on one nearly full disk? If so Windows may not be able to take a snapshot of the disk to image it.
    Having a C: partition of no more than 50GB is all you need for Windows and installed programs. Then it's easy to image C: and backup everything else.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Linus,

Just a shot in the dark here but might your disks be setup as GPT? Most current Imaging products don't support GPT disks yet.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    One thing to remember with Imaging, unless you do a sector by sector image (waste of space in my opinion), the Images only include the used space, not the free space. In that case, unless the HD's are full, your Images will be much smaller than the HD's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek: I boot from C: in Win7 32 and so I don't think I could have GUID, at least on that drive. Interesting answer and I'll noodle around and see.
    Medico: Understand the compression and shrinkage and that is part of my confusion as to not being able to image because of a lack of space. I first started backing up TO TAPE under DOS.
    Paul T: Another interesting possibility and one which I've thought about. I haven't tried it because (a) I have stable systems and so why rock the boat? And (b) lack of a very good road map as to how to move every thing around without inviting disaster. Got a 'fool' proof map?

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by LinusF3 View Post
    The result is always insufficent space.
    You might be running up against the 100MB reserved partition not having enough free space. Type diskmgmt.msc into the search box above the 'Start' button and press 'Enter'. Take a look at the 'System Reserved' partition. Unless there is something in excess of 50% of it free, then Windows own disk imaging function won't work and an insufficient disk space message arises.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

LinusF3 (2012-11-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is something I think is likely. Unfortunately I do not have the slightest idea on how to expand that partition nor shrunk what is it.

Thanks
    The reserved partition is a System Reserved Partition and should have no bearing on your Imaging chores. There is no way to change the size of this System Reserved Partition.

Acronis also discusses this partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The reserved partition is a System Reserved Partition and should have no bearing on your Imaging chores.
    There is a problem with Windows 7 own imaging function when the System Reserved partition does not have enough free space. This situation will give rise to an insufficient disk space error message.

I can only suggest a search of the subject using the term 'system reserved not enough disk space for disk image'. That should bring up some reading on the matter. This may not be the problem of course but it can be a reason for an insufficient disk space message. I have read of a way to overcome this problem (if that's what it is in this case) but I haven't tried it personally.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/the-backu...-in-windows-7/

I'm running Bitdefender at present and find that this causes Windows 7 own disk imaging not to work. This being because only 38% of the System Reserved partition is free. Rather than carry out the procedure in the page linked to, I use EaseUS Todo while running the system with Bitdefender installed on it.

Thanks
    This might be another of those problems with the Win 7 Backup and Restore App. I use Acronis TIH 2013 and have no problems at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast