Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Snap.do & ReSoft

This misbegotten piece of garbage browser hijacker showed up on the IE and Chrome on one of the computers in the house.

No idea how it got there and no idea how to remove it.

Google search doesn't show much, and nothing was useful.

SEarched the forums here and the newsletter and couldn't find anything either.

** Is it possible we could have a Forum area just for Malware etc?

TIA,
    ~marilyn

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    One other thing I should have said is that anything that looks safe and helpful on the web says first thing you have to do is remove it from Control Panel > Remove Programs.
    It doesn't show up there, or by any other name it seems to be known by, and there appear to be many.

Thanks
    There is a Security and Scams forum. Most people use this forum for malware.

Have you tried the normal removal tools, MalwareBytes Antimalware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Super Antispyware, etc? Have you tried any of the AV web sites inline scanners?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried reviewing this search list? The first entry on that search query shows several ways to remove the browser hijack.

Bear in mind that if you search for anything on the infected machine serach.do will probably take you to paid-for services....that's what the hijack does. So if your searching shows nothing, take a look at this article.

If that still gives you problems, download Adwarecleaner, run it and take action on anything it finds.

Then, download Malwarebytes Antimalware, update and run a full scan, dealing with any infections the hijack let in.

Is it possible we could have a Forum area just for Malware etc?
    The Lounge has a forum for such things here.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. thanks, Medico and Tinto Tech.

Got it off Firefox, just snooping around and deleting some browser add-ons and so forth. not sure what made it go. I know, I need to be shot . . .
    Not sure if it's gone for good, and haven't checked Chrome yet. CCleaner didn't show anything, neither did Malwarebytes, though the browser screens were right there showing the problem.

I find that kind of worrying that something can show up, that apparently used to show on Add Programs, and some of the AV and Malware programs, but all of a sudden it's not showing up. Wonder if it's been reworked to be even more insidious.

Thanks for the hint about the SEcurity Forum. I'll post there next time I have a problem like this and if an admin wants to move this conversation over, I'll find it.
    Thanks for all the ideas. If it come sback after re-boot, I'll start with some of those. (I'm supposed to be working so can't take too much time now)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    If that still gives you problems, download Adwarecleaner, run it and take action on anything it finds.
    That link opens in French for me!

And even worse this appears in the background

ffs.PNG

Oh Shit.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    That link opens in French for me!

And even worse this appears in the background

Browser Hijacks do not respect language barriers: the author of the AdwareCleaner tool is French, so is his site.

I see nothing in the background on that page that gives rise for any concern. However, if my filters have removed anything nefarious on that site, please accept my apologies. Here is a link to the same tool from Bleeping Computer.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-11-19 at 16:03. Reason: spelling
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    You could also try Manage Add-ons in IE. Perhaps it will be listed there as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy