Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why does one of my drives like AHCI and an identical one sends my BIOS mad?

I am trying to install an SSD eventually but at present I am having problems changing the BIOS to AHCI from IDE. All drives are SATA.

When I tried it initially the BIOS went into a reboot cycle. I ascertained that one hard drive and my SATA CD/DVD writer were upsetting it and on disconnecting them the BIOS was very happy in AHCI mode. The drives that worked were WD and Seagate. The puzzling thing was that the Seagate that worked is a twin with the one that caused problems and both were bought together. It is not the specific STA port or cable as I have tested them with the working Seagate and also spare brand new Seagate. The failing one is quite happy using IDE in BIOS.

Any ideas why the Seagate drive will not work with AHCI and its twin will. could it be the MBRs being different?

I guess I will need to replace the CD/DVD writer and hope the replacement will work nicely.

The motherboard is an Asus P5K Premium WiFi model vintage 2008 with an AMI bios. I could try updating the BIOS although the newer ones do not mention this as a problem – they are mainly to do with supporting newer CPUs. I am wary of flashing a new bios unless I KNOW it should help.

Thanks
    Maybe one of the drives is bad. Try swapping them (connect A to the port that B was connected to), and see if the other one fails.

Also, put them in one at a time, rather than both together. If each one will work individually, then that may be enough to "bring them to life", so that they will work together.

Hopefully your machine will allow for two SSD drives at the same time. Perhaps it will only allow one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It has been running happily with 4 under IDE setting in Bios and is now as I type. The problem drive works happily under IDE setting but not under AHCI setting. I have tried different SATA ports and changing cables and putting them in different ways. It is just that one drive and also my Samsung CD/DVD writer that have problems under the AHCI settings.

Thanks
    Here's some info which may help you:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280979-32-ahci-mode

Thanks
    Have you checked for a firmware update for the problem drive?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows