New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 and IE8 have both stopped working

About 2 weeks ago IE9 stopped working properly on my wife's PC (Dell desktop, running Win 7 Pro 64). IE9 would start, connect to a website, but then hang while (apparently) trying to download content. I had to use Task Manager to stop IE9.
    I tried changing a number of settings, but nothing helped, so I finally uninstalled IE9. Windows then reinstalled IE8, which had the exact same problem as IE9 (it will load, connect to a website, and then hang). I tried to upgrade to IE9, but the install failed before completing.
    Both Chrome and Firefox work properly (so this is not a crisis!), but I would like to find and fix whatever is causing these problems with IE8 and IE9 on this computer.
    Any suggestions for how to proceed would be welcome.
    Richard

Thanks
    I ran into a similar situation about a month ago. A friend could use IE, but he couldn't go to any map websites (Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest). He also couldn't go to mozilla.org in order to download Firefox. Whenever he would try any of these, the screen would turn white, and that was as far as you were going.

I brought a copy of Firefox and installed it on his computer from DVD, and he could browse anywhere he wanted with Firefox.

I suspected malware, and so I ran various scanners, but nothing would find anything or fix it.

He told me that he had nothing on his hard drive that he needed to save, so I reran the factory rebuild, putting him back to new condition.

He had no adequate malware protection, so I made sure that all of that was on there.

Thanks
    This sounds like a malware problem. I would try to download and run MalwareBytes Antimalware, plus a complete virus scan with your AV of choice.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Try running IE 9 without addins:
    Just type the following command into the Windows search box to launch a bare-bones Internet Explorer:

iexplore.exe -extoff

If you can now browse ok, go to gear icon > manage addons and disble them in groups until you find the culprit.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Malwarebytes didn't find anything. I used system restore to go back 14 days to a date before I had installed a number of Windows updates, when IE9 was working properly (probably should have tried this sooner). The system restarted with a fully working version of IE9, and no critical updates required. I tend to think the problem was a Windows update, perhaps now withdrawn or replaced.