Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win8 patching gets off to a bit of a rough start

Windows 8

Win8 patching gets off to a bit of a rough start

By Susan Bradley

New operating systems are never perfect from the start, and Windows 8 is certainly no exception. Not only will early Win8 adopters and testers continue to see numerous updates, they should not be surprised when some of those patches fail.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/win8-patching-gets-off-to-a-bit-of-a-rough-start/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-10-24 at 17:55.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Link broken as usual. Anyone know what it should be?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The link works for me. Are you getting a 404 error?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It works with XP and Firefox

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Works for me, with Chrome.

Thanks
    Working for me now, however I did receive a 404 error earlier.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question

If a update has been installed and the recommendation is not to install, should a person uninstall or leave it. Can not see any problem with the install at the present time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boblburr View Post
    If a update has been installed and the recommendation is not to install, should a person uninstall or leave it. Can not see any problem with the install at the present time.
    If you had no issues with the installation, my advice would be to leave it as it is. No point in removing it at all.

Thanks
    Susan -- Bricks and Mortar is The Microsoft Store, not The Windows Store (the online app marketplace). Confusing, but different. Like the difference between RT vs. Windows 8, which Woody Leonhard is still explaining to folks around here. New names, new paradigm -- all very disruptive to one's mindset!

I wonder if my own Windows Modules Installer (TrustedInstaller) run (a silent update) could have had to do with the Metro Apps? Do they ever self-update? I often log in to Windows 8 with my Microsoft Live ID. I changed ownership (temporarily) and looked into the Metro Apps in Programs with an Admin Account, but no Apps show a Modified Date of October 23, 2012, when my incident occurred. No Chrome DEV updates around then, were there? Still... one wonders, what might have happened?

Definitely not any Microsoft Windows Updates, per se, with my Silent Install incident.

A few web apps still use the Java Plugin in Firefox. Like the National Weather Service Live Doppler Radar which I like to use. Otherwise, I fully agree on disabling the Java Browser Plugins. When upgrading from one JRE version to the next, if you don't disable from the JRE Java Control Panel Advanced Tab all Java browser plugins before upgrading, Firefox gets stuck with old, useless entries for the Java Plugin. This can be not only annoying, but can cause Firefox to get confused at some websites which run Java Apps, in my experience. Better to disable, then upgrade than to have to manually remove the zombie entries from Firefox.

Reminder to Lounge newcomers -- Java is NOT the same as Javascript. Sites which run scripts are not usually running anything to do with Java JRE or its plugins. That's why these plugins can for most folks be safely disabled or removed. Uncheck them in the Java Control Panel Advanced Tab.

The teenaged “Pinkie” hides his true identity because his employer doesn't know he hacks browsers on the side, according to a ZDNet article. Here’s hoping he shares his prize money with his parents, though they might wonder where and how he’s received an extra $120,000 this year.
    And he should report the income to the IRS and his State taxing department, lest his parents get into trouble with the "Revenuers"! They can no longer claim him as a "dependent" under most circumstances. This could also affect his insurance arrangements. And it will affect his eligibility for scholarships and student loans based on financial need, in case he ever considers College. Not that someone who can make $120,000 a year at age 16 is going to be very concerned with such details.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-28 at 15:35.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Java 7

I use the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite firewall/anti-virus solution. I have found on the ZoneAlarm forums that Java 7 does not work with ZoneAlarm and its firewall. Java 6 works just fine. Upgrade to Java 7 and Java apps can't communicate through the firewall as they could running Java 6. I ran into this very problem with a third-party app that runs on Java. It works fine with Java 6 and ZA. I upgraded to Java 7 and some of the internet communication options stopped working. I have left a bug report at Oracle's site as suggested by ZA tech support.

Just a word to the wise.

Larry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LHuisingh View Post
    I use the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite firewall/anti-virus solution. I have found on the ZoneAlarm forums that Java 7 does not work with ZoneAlarm and its firewall. Java 6 works just fine. Upgrade to Java 7 and Java apps can't communicate through the firewall as they could running Java 6. I ran into this very problem with a third-party app that runs on Java. It works fine with Java 6 and ZA. I upgraded to Java 7 and some of the internet communication options stopped working. I have left a bug report at Oracle's site as suggested by ZA tech support.

Just a word to the wise.

Larry
    Also leave a bug report with Zone Alarm, as it is their program which is causing the conflict. I use Comodo Personal Firewall Free on Windows XP Pro SP3 and Java JRE 7 is generally bug-free in this combo. My point is, other firewalls do just fine with JRE7u09. ZA passing the buck back to Oracle is simply NOT an answer to the ZA conflict. If ZA doesn't get with the program soon, I would dump them.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-29 at 13:44.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Also leave a bug report with Zone Alarm, as it is their program which is causing the conflict. I use Comodo Personal Firewall Free on Windows XP Pro SP3 and Java JRE 7 is generally bug-free in this combo. My point is, other firewalls do just fine with JRE7u09. If ZA doesn't get with the program soon, I would dump them.
    I understand what you're saying. ZA's perspective, obviously, is that their software didn't change but Oracle's did so guess who they would blame?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I wonder if my own Windows Modules Installer (TrustedInstaller) run (a silent update) could have had to do with the Metro Apps? Do they ever self-update? I often log in to Windows 8 with my Microsoft Live ID. I changed ownership (temporarily) and looked into the Metro Apps in Programs with an Admin Account, but no Apps show a Modified Date of October 23, 2012, when my incident occurred. No Chrome DEV updates around then, were there? Still... one wonders, what might have happened?
    @Bob Primak,

AFAIK, Metro Apps only notify you about updates. The notification and update is done with the Store app.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    @Bob Primak,

AFAIK, Metro Apps only notify you about updates. The notification and update is done with the Store app.

Joe
    That isn't really a direct answer. Where and how do I determine when the last updates were installed on the Metro Apps? Is this even recorded anywhere in Windows 8 ?
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That isn't really a direct answer.
    It wasn't really a direct question. What was your "Silent Install incident"?

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast