ZDNet has the article
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Terrific, interesting, article, Ted. I hope people will take notice of this being something positive & accurate for them to peruse. It, also, makes me even more anxious to move from my RP to my final Win8 Pro I am being given that will arrive in a few days.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    Having to buy new hardware to run a new OS isn't a positive for me. Even with the new hardware, I prefer the old mouse clicks and scroll wheel to touch, but thats just me. Probably one reason I'll be the last person to get a smart phone.

Having said all that, it is possible to configure Windows 8 to run like my old Windows 7 desktop (kill the hot spots, bring back the all purpose start orb) and take advantage of the few improvements. Just not enough for me to upgrade Windows 7 on a speedy desktop. Worth it to me on my slower laptop. YMMV.

Jerry

Thanks
    Desktop usage will vary PC to PC. That is just how these work. We each use our PC's, and set up our PC's to work best with our methods. Even with a tablet (Surface Pro or other such) I will often be using a keyboard and my USB mouse. That's just what I am accustomed to. I can see myself using the touch capabilities more over time, but I cannot see myself going totally away from the keyboard and mouse. If nothing else, the S/W keyboards I have used do not work as well with my fat, old fingers and take up to much real estate on the screen.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Please, do not take from the article that there is a necessity to buy new hardware for Windows8. It can, will, likely run very nicely on your existing machine.

You don't want to 'kill' the hotspots (even if it were possible) because then they are not available to be used & the functionality of the OS is undermined. Nor is the any need for the old start orb. It works just fine w/out Touch, too. There are, also, if one prefers, Keyboard Commands that will go to things instead of mouse & click.

Besides what is in the HELP & Getting Started sections of Win8, if you would appreciate any tips, guidance or instruction getting settled into the new OS I would be glad to assist you.

Win8 can be used exclusively w/in a basically familiar desktop environment w/ a few navigational differences to discover.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    Drew, I believe Jerry is very familiar already with Win 8. If I am not mistaken he is already using Win 8 on his laptop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, my misunderstanding, then, Ted. I did not get that from what his note said. but, ok.

D

Thanks
    You don't want to 'kill' the hotspots (even if it were possible) because then they are not available to be used & the functionality of the OS is undermined.
    No its not. I can access the charms any time I want with Win key + C, the Start Screen with Win key, and i never use the other hot spot. As I explianed to you several times before, I often triggered the hotspots when I don't want them and found it very irritating. And it is possible with Classic Shell. Why do you continue to insist your way is the only way to enjoy Windows 8?

Nor is the any need for the old start orb. It works just fine w/out Touch, too

Need? no but some of us prefer programs, search, and power in one place rather than in multiple places/keystrokes. Again, its not your way or the highway....

Besides what is in the HELP & Getting Started sections of Win8, if you would appreciate any tips, guidance or instruction getting settled into the new OS I would be glad to assist you.
    I like Windows 8 just fine my way thank you very much. As I said in my post, with my modifications, I like running Windows 8 just fine. You like it your way. To each his own....

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry,

You completely misinterpreted or misunderstood what I said & more especially, certainly, why it was said. Nor you need to sound quite so nasty. My way or the highway was not part of anything in any way shape or form. We had told people quite some time ago how to stop having accidents w/ Charms & I use that myself. Apparently your note was very much misunderstood & may have, of course, been the reader's fault... tried to offer something helpful on the basis of that note. Will not, again.

There is nor has been any such insistence as you accuse.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg