Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8

I have windows 7 64 bit ultimate computer and I would like to up grade it to windows 8. Which version would be the best.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    316, hello.
    I think that the CP version is not recognized anymore. You should go to the RP version.
    Or are you talking about the 26th Oct release ? At this moment, I believe that there is only the RT version available. Quite a dog's breakfast, hey ? The Pro version will be available in March or so they say.
    JP-1.jpg

See my post below, Medico
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-24 at 19:39.

Thanks
    Raymond,

Since you already have 64 Bit, I would assume you have enough Ram to utilize 64 Bit. Since 32 Bit is confined to approx. 3.5 Gb of Ram, 64 Bit would be a good choice.

As far as which edition, there is Standard edition or Pro edition. The Standard edition will not have Media Center available. If this is important then go with Pro. Also, since you already have Win 7 Ultimate, Win 8 Pro is the closest as far as features.

The last thing to consider is Upgrade Media or Full Install OEM. If you wish to keep Win 7 and dual boot with Win 8 you will need the more expensive Full Install OEM. If you do not wish to keep Win 7, then the Upgrade Media ($40 for the download from MS Store until end of Jan 2013) will do the trick. Be advised to use the Upgrade Media (even with a Custom Install) you must replace the qualifying OS (Win 7 in your case).

So I would say Win 8 Pro 64 Bit (you will have to decide which edition Upgrade or Full)

JP, you are somewhat mistaken. All versions of Win 8 are to be released on Friday. What you are talking about is the Surface Tablet. The Surface RT is to be released Friday, with the Surface Pro to follow a few months later. Win 8 RT is only available on new lower powered tablets using the ARM architecture.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-25 at 05:29.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would advise you to get the option to upgrade using the $40 upgrade offer, which will get you the Pro version. It really is a no brainer, considering you are using 7 Ultimate and you want to upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico for your advice. I have a 2 TB HD I would have space again thank you so much. Have a good evening

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Raymond, the only proper choice for your case would be Win7 Ult > Win8 Pro

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-10-25 at 05:53.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    JP, I suggest your info is incorrect, no offense intended. Since Win8 is being released on Friday, 26/10 let's leave any betas out of the discussion.

Available will be Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. Certain mobile devices, like tablets, will carry Windows 8 RT; although, in the case of the Surface from Microsoft that will have 2 models & the more costly will carry full-blown Windows 8. What we won't see available immediately is Windows 8 phones.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew and Medico, thanks. I had in mind an actual "today" download, not tomorrow. He did not mention this and my impression was that he wanted to try it as we have for the last few months. But, thanks anyway, keep harping at me, I will not give up learning.

I will try the $40 D/L. I should install over RP, no ?

JP-1.jpg
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-10-25 at 09:35.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    What we won't see available immediately is Windows 8 phones.
    Windows Phone 8 will be launched on the 29th and probably some models will be immediately available then.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    JP,

Don't you, still, have Windows 7 or something other than Win8 RP, anymore? The idea w/ the Win8 Upgrade is one goes from one of those to it. We THINK it's possible to go from the RP but, even, directly from my contacts in Microsoft, cannot get a definite answer to that. Really, I will suggest, NO. Upgrade your prior (to Win8) non-beta Windows OS, be that 7, Vista or XP. IF, you wiped that out w/ the RP, you can try upgrading the RP BUT, if that doesn't work, you'll have to reinstall your previous Windows & then, upgrade that.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, I see said the blind man.
    I smartly got a clone of Win-7 here, on an USB HD. Your advise is to get it cloned-back then get the .iso and do the dirty work ??? Strange that one could not do this from RP ! should I try it first and if it does not work, go to a W-7 clone. As you can see, I love any challenge. I think that the wording of any MS instruction concerns those who did not even go CP nor RP, it says that one ought to do this from any previous OS except that from XP, one would loose all personal data. Right ?

JP-1.jpg

There is another post where you said that one could upgrade from RP ??? A curious mind would like to know. Is your contact at Redmon not to be trusted ?
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-10-25 at 16:35.

Thanks
    The upgrade path from Win 8 RP to Win 8 Pro pre-supposes that you installed Win 8 RP over a qualifying OS such as XP. Vista or Win 7. Win 8 RP on it's own with no other qualifying OS is not allowed to be upgraded to Win 8 Pro at the lower upgrade pricing.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    JP, as I said I have spoken w/ my people in Microsoft directly about this. The idea is that a person had or had to have had, an existing Windows OS before getting the Win8 RP. That original Windows OS is supposed to be what gets referenced when using the Win8 Upgrade. And you go from it to Win8 via the Upgrade. However, there is a suggestion, that because that prior OS was behind a person having or being able to have gotten the RP it MAY be possible to use the Upgrade on or from the RP. The point is the Upgrade has to see an OS on the drive & 'seeing' the RP MAY serve the purpose. So, yes, I am saying try it & if, you discover it cannot be done, yes, @ that point, put the Win7 back in & then run the Win8 Upgrade from it which, definitely will succeed.

It's water over the damn now but, your Win7 should never have been replaced w/ the Win8 Beta. That should have been run as a dual-boot or as a virtual machine. So now try to go from the RP. If it doesn't work (maybe it will), put the Win7 back in & start over w/ the Win8 Upgrade from the Win7.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You for your help,so what I need is windows 8 Pro. What is windows 8 Pro Pack? When I buy windows 8 I want to get the right one.
    Again thank you so much for all your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 8 Pro Pack will add Media Center to Windows 8. Contrary to what happens with Windows 7, Media Center is not included with Windows 8. You need to buy the Pro Pack (or get it free while you can - this forum has a link to where you can get that).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast