2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Device Manager will not run

Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Ever since I tried to install the new NVidia driver I have been unable to run various system functions such as Device Manager. The video driver install failed and now the system is apparently using the generic driver. Windows tries to install an update every time I shut down but the install fails without an apparent error.
    I have run 4 different antivirus/anti-malware scanners and two different system clean up tools (PC Tools and Glary Utilities), run the disk check twice,and defragged the hard drive and executed the Windows recovery tools. Nothing has worked.
    Since I can not run Device Manager I can not install a video driver and get information on the current driver status.
    I am unable to revert to a prior check point, the install fails each time.
    Any suggestions on next steps?

Thanks
    Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

bvitter (2012-10-29)

Thanks
    Reboot and log into Safe Mode with Networking. Uninstall the nVidia driver.

They may not have a good 32-bit driver. Perhaps one from 32-bit Vista or XP would work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that seems to have partially worked. The Video Card driver is now working but I still cannot open Device Manager.
    sfc reported uncorrected errors in a file CBS.log which I cannot open - I get an Access Denied message even when running as the Administrator

Thanks
    You can try running chkdsk /r and then run sfc /scannow again. Run both from an elevated command prompt.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows