Thread: Expresscard.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Expresscard.

Hello. I have a Toshiba 300D that sports an ExpressCard port. I slipped in one, 2 USB3.0 ports, but it is not seen. These are supposed to be hot-swappable. I tried to install it using any driver in TOSAPINS, none would work. Playing around with this, I caused a defect, the laptop would not shut down, it stayed on "Logging Off" for ever. I had a recent clone and redid it but I have no ExpressCard running. Is W-7 not able to see this card ?

JP-1.jpg

Thanks
    That almost has to be a driver issue, but I have no idea what could be wrong. You might want to contact Toshiba about this issue.

I had a similar issue with my SD Card reader port, but I was able to get the proper drivers from my laptop manufacturer, Sony.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Medico. I read in the User Manual, that these are hot-swappable. No driver required at all or at least that is written in the manual. I looked into the TOSAPINS folder that holds all required drivers, no joy. In the mean time, I have bought another one on eBay, real cheap, and will test that one when it gets here. The first one that does not work now might be defective ??? It was detected by W-7, it went and looked for an install but could not/would not install it. I will keep you up on developments, you seem interested.

JP-1.jpg

Thanks
    To get the laptop to shut down, hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. Or, if all else fails, remove the battery and unplug the laptop.

Make sure that you have it set to turn off (not go into sleep mode) when you press the power button.

Thanks
    The SD Cards are also hot swappable, but the reader needs some drivers or software to know what to do with the cards.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, hi again.
    This Toshiba has a slot for an added SD card to help the RAM, called ReadyBoost. I was seen as soon as I put it in, the Toshiba knew what to do with it. This ExpressCard is not totally ignored, just not installed. I did a bit of reading but have not found the right information yet. Thanks for your attention.

JP-1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    To get the laptop to shut down, hold the power button down for about 10 seconds.

Thanks Jim.

Thanks
    Holding the power button down for 5 seconds will cause a non sequential immediate power off. 9 times out of 10, no OS damage will be done but it could cause disk corruption if the system is in the middle of a disk write at this time. To be safe, you should do a chkdsk afterwards.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check to make sure that your expresscard slot is enabled? I think you should be able to check through Device manager.

Doug

Thanks
    Your expresscard slot should show up in Device Manager under Storage controllers. On my Dell E5420 it is an "O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO controller", made by O2Micro. The drivers are located in Windows\system32\DRIVERS. My drivers are o2flash.exe, O2MDRw7x64.sys and O2Icon_2.dll.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Bbearren, hello and thanks. I have not done any further research on this ExpressCard, I have been busy with W-8 Pro and also living. I will again look in System32 as you mentioned.