Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 OEM?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Windows 8 OEM?

I am getting promotional emails from Newegg, advertising a sale on Windows 8 "full version" and "Pro." All of them say "OEM".

Can't a person just buy the "full version" or the "pro" version without it having to be OEM too so they can put it on any brand of computer they happen to have whenever they happen to have it? For example, it makes good sense to buy a new desktop computer with a lower version of Windows on it (no I don't mean RT), and have your own copy of a pro version you can upgrade to. I bought my own Windows 7 Pro and it did not say OEM on it.

Will all Windows 8 packages say OEM on them so you have to buy for a specific computer? If that's true, what's the point? Do they make a different version for Acer than they do for HP?

If there is no difference, then I guess I am not surprised that they and other corporations seem to encourage pirates to proliferate as they try to tighten their python-like grip on the public. Which in turn made me wonder if it's time to break up the giants and give the little guy a break. As one of the "little guys" I am sick and tired of being treated as though I'm just here to help some big business and his fat cat head guy with the multimillions in annual pay make a profit. Most people saw what Apple just did to its iPad 3 buyers, bringing out an iPad 4 six months later and obsoleting the 3 by taking it off their website and no longer offering it for sale
    . This is yet another example example of shafting the consumer for hundreds of dollars to try and maintain market edge and profit, so there's plenty of grief to spread around.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The OEM version is for people who build machines from scratch. Those PCs do not have an OS on them. The non-OEM versions are for those of use who have a version of Windows that qualifies for upgrading (XP SP3, Vista, Win7). The Win8 Pro upgrade version priced at $39.99 USD is a bargain. See Buy Windows 8 Pro.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have to disagree with you. Offering a new OS for $39.99 (29.99 euros) can hardly be described as "shafting the consumer".

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Vote with your feet and use an alternative. Oh, wait, there are no good alternatives. So why not start your own tech company and show 'em how its done?
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe - great explanation!!
    Kelliann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I have to disagree with you. Offering a new OS for $39.99 (29.99 euros) can hardly be described as "shafting the consumer".
    I didn't say that. My message asked why Windows 8 was only offered as OEM on Newegg and whether that was the only kind you could buy.

Kelliann

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe there is a system builder version that can be used the same as a full version. Paul Thurrot had a blog about the different versions a week or two back.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    Vote with your feet and use an alternative. Oh, wait, there are no good alternatives. So why not start your own tech company and show 'em how its done?
    Haha wish I could. OTOH I didn't used to think this but now, I would like to see the giants broken into smaller companies and act like they care about their customers instead of like, "I'm so huge I can do anything I want."

I just read Woody's column last night and the more I read the madder I got about MS refusing to listen when it came to naming its Windows 8 product, and then on top of that, today I get this email from Newegg touting OEM versions and not one word about non-OEM as though it did not exist, which is why I asked the question here.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this article about Win8 licence agreements, might be useful:
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-radic...-8-7000002866/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The OEM version is for people who build machines from scratch. Those PCs do not have an OS on them. The non-OEM versions are for those of use who have a version of Windows that qualifies for upgrading (XP SP3, Vista, Win7). The Win8 Pro upgrade version priced at $39.99 USD is a bargain. See Buy Windows 8 Pro.

Joe
    Joe, another question. I went to the link you gave above. And it said this:

If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store.

What are they talking about? What's "pack" mean to me, an individual user. And what's a "retail" edition? What if I wanted to buy this upgrade version and hold onto it and use it say two years down the road. Or if I bought another Windows 7 computer in the spring, and later on wanted to switch to Windows 8 Pro?

I swear I think this is just hopelessly complicated.

Oh wait, nevermind, I just saw it said new pc with 8 preinstalled. So I guess that doesn't affect what I am thinking about..

But I still want to know what a "pack" is and why a person can't reinstall apps from the computer manufacturer.

Last edited by kelliann1; 2012-10-25 at 12:56.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try to answer your questions.

M$ uses the term "pack" to mean a PACKAGE of updates/fixes/enhancements. Windows XP SP1 was a group of these things all downloaded and installed at one time.

Windows 8 for PC's comes in 3 versions. Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro(fessional), and Windows 8 Enterprise. Windows 8 is the version with the fewest features. The Windows 8 Pro Pack will upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro. The Enterprise edition is for large volume users, not individuals.

A retail version is one sold in stores (both brick and mortar or online) and includes, as a minimum, a program disc and a box. Windows 7 was available in retail versions as an upgrade (was supposed to require Win XP or Vista) or as a "full" version which did not but cost more. The only real difference was in the license. A retail version can be transferred to another computer provided it is uninstalled from the computer it was originally installed on. This includes a failed system.

If you buy a "brand name" complete computer with Windows 8 on it it will be an OEM version. In this case it WILL be tied to the computer it was installed on and cannot be used on a different one.

If you buy the parts and put the system together, YOU are the OEM and should buy the OEM version. It will install and activate properly - but you won't be able to get direct support from M$. You will get updates and service packs. And you can uninstall it and install it on another system you put together. Some "mom and pop" computer stores may opt for this route.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    I will try to answer your questions.

M$ uses the term "pack" to mean a PACKAGE of updates/fixes/enhancements. Windows XP SP1 was a group of these things all downloaded and installed at one time.

Windows 8 for PC's comes in 3 versions. Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro(fessional), and Windows 8 Enterprise. Windows 8 is the version with the fewest features. The Windows 8 Pro Pack will upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro. The Enterprise edition is for large volume users, not individuals.

A retail version is one sold in stores (both brick and mortar or online) and includes, as a minimum, a program disc and a box. Windows 7 was available in retail versions as an upgrade (was supposed to require Win XP or Vista) or as a "full" version which did not but cost more. The only real difference was in the license. A retail version can be transferred to another computer provided it is uninstalled from the computer it was originally installed on. This includes a failed system.

If you buy a "brand name" complete computer with Windows 8 on it it will be an OEM version. In this case it WILL be tied to the computer it was installed on and cannot be used on a different one.

If you buy the parts and put the system together, YOU are the OEM and should buy the OEM version. It will install and activate properly - but you won't be able to get direct support from M$. You will get updates and service packs. And you can uninstall it and install it on another system you put together. Some "mom and pop" computer stores may opt for this route.
    That was very helpful, thank you!

So my idea is to buy the cheap version of windows 8 Pro, which I gather is $69 if you have it sent to you in a box, and hold onto it for a long time until I see if I actually want to use it. I don't mind losing the $69 if I never want to use it, but would object to paying a couple hundred for the same thing down the road if I did want to use it. Just guessing at the cost "down the road."

My computer is only 10 months old, so am not planning to buy a new one for a while, could be several years, depends on "whatever" (who knows what, at this point!).

Opinions on that plan??

Thanks
    The other change between Win 7 and Win 8, the Win 7 Retail version (Whether Upgrade media or Full Install media) contained both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks. The OEM versions contained one or the other bitness disks

In Win 8 you choose which bitness you want, 32 Bit or 64 Bit when buying a Retail Package, whether it is an Upgrade version or a Full Install, OEM version.

The other place one might want the Full Install, OEM version is where you wish to keep the qualifying OS (whether it be XP, Vista or Win 7) and dual boot Win 8 or use Win 8 in a VM. To keep and use both OS's requires the Full Install, OEM version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    That was very helpful, thank you!

So my idea is to buy the cheap version of windows 8 Pro, which I gather is $69 if you have it sent to you in a box, and hold onto it for a long time until I see if I actually want to use it. I don't mind losing the $69 if I never want to use it, but would object to paying a couple hundred for the same thing down the road if I did want to use it. Just guessing at the cost "down the road."

My computer is only 10 months old, so am not planning to buy a new one for a while, could be several years, depends on "whatever" (who knows what, at this point!).

Opinions on that plan??
    That works, but if you're thinking of upgrading a computer that's running Win 7 (or Vista or XP), you can get an upgrade version of Win 8 Pro for just $40--limited time only:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-pricing-revealed-144492

W
    e should see these offers (the $40 upgrades) soon after the official release.

As you probably noticed, the $69 OEM price is also for a limited time.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The other change between Win 7 and Win 8, the Win 7 Retail version (Whether Upgrade media or Full Install media) contained both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks. The OEM versions contained one or the other bitness disks

In Win 8 you choose which bitness you want, 32 Bit or 64 Bit when buying a Retail Package, whether it is an Upgrade version or a Full Install, OEM version.

The other place one might want the Full Install, OEM version is where you wish to keep the qualifying OS (whether it be XP, Vista or Win 7) and dual boot Win 8 or use Win 8 in a VM. To keep and use both OS's requires the Full Install, OEM version.
    ARRRGH!!!! Who can keep track of all this? Wait, where's my Smart Robot. I'll make him do it. This is *absurd*!!!!!

So what are the chances of Joe Average going home with the right version for his needs - Woody says the clerks are clueless, so no help for him there. It'll be a giant roll of the dice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast