Lounger
    Thanks

restore to HP desktop

I have an HP desktop and am having several problems over the last couple weeks. I cannot logon instead I get logged on as a temporary user, some updates will not install, etc!

I would like to do a non-destructive restore of Windows. If I use the restore partition that came with the HP machine I'm afraid it will wipe out installed programs, I'm not worried about the data because it is backed up.

I downloaded a Win 7 .iso file to dvd. If I use it to refresh Windows 7 Home Premium will it cause problems because of the HP crap that may be partially left on the machine, competing drivers, etc?

Fred

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

There is always the possibility that something can go wrong.

That being said, the "repair/reinstall" should not replace any drivers that are newer than the generic drivers in the .iso, or any signed drivers specific to the hardware. It also should not replace/displace any existing installed programs/apps or cause problems with the way installed programs/apps function.

Good luck!
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I used the downloaded iso file dvd to reinstall/upgrade win 7 onto my HP machine and it worked just fine. I did have to uninstall itunes cuz the win 7 did not like it. Also I had to reconfigure some programs, maybe the ini files got wiped out? I did lose my address book and bookmarks but I had them saved and just imported them. Overall a pleasant experience, well not in that I had to reinstall, but at least it did work well. Fred