New Lounger
    Thanks

CPU overheats, only new fan gives temp fix

When this HP Pavilion desktop was about a month beyond the 1-yr warranty it began to pop up a CPU overheating warning and would immediately shut down. The CPU fan and case fan were turning, and there were no blockages to air flow through the case. I pulled the unit, and the thermal paste seemed in good condition. New paste did not solve the problem. I installed a new fan unit from HP (thermal paste already applied) after cleaning the CPU carefully. This worked for about six months when the same problem developed. Again, no evidence of fan failure or thermal paste ill applied. So, I ordered a replacement Systemmax unit for this socket. This worked for about six months and then the same problem developed. Check on thermal paste showed no gaps, etc. Fan works. Since the cost was low, I ordered another fan. Problem fixed for about six months - and then the same situation developed. Replaced the fan etc a week ago - and now the computer is performing normally again. Of course, I do not trust it to stay up and running so I have backed up all the data files, etc. Nothing else about the computer seems to be problematic - no crashes for any other reason, no hangups or freezes, no error messages except for the CPU overheating.

I have never encountered a problem like this before in 25 years of using, building, and repairing PCs. I am eager to hear from others about possible causes - and a fix beyond buying fans. (The ones I have purchased previously are no longer available!)

Many thanks for your advice and I look forward to participating in the Forum.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the power supply? One of the voltage buses may be too high.

Thanks
    Download and run a program called Speedfan. It will tell you what is overheating.

My wife had a similar problem -- her video card went bad, and it was causing the system to cook.

You already tried replacing the thermal paste. Did you get high-quality thermal paste? You can get it at Radio Shack, and it's not very expensive. One tube will suffice for two applications.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thermal Paste + Power Rail

Yes, I did use thermal paste from Radio Shack, as a matter of fact.

I had not thought about the power rail, but if that is the problem how would replacing the fan resolve it?

Thanks
    Get a temp monitoring program like Speedfan as mrjimhelps suggested or HWMonitor to see where the over temp is coming from. It may not be the CPU.
    Make sure you cleaned out the Power supply and the video card heat sink if you have one as well. I am also suspicious of the power supply. All of the Hp/Dell/Acer/Lenovo units I've seen come with marginal rated power supplies that are just sufficient for the base system. if you add anything like a more powerful video card, the power supply may not be strong enough to handle it.

Jerry

Thanks
    When this HP Pavilion desktop was about a month beyond the 1-yr warranty it began to pop up a CPU overheating warning and would immediately shut down
    Can you provide a little more clarification about the error message please?

What sensor monitoring program is being used?

Have you opened up the case and physically examined what parts are [actually] heated?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that the power supply is the most suspect component. However, you might also want to do a bit of Googling, your model number along with a term like "cpu heat shutdown" to see if others are experiencing similar issues. Its conceivable that something as simple as a BIOS upgrade may fix the issue. I know, if its the BIOs, why didn't it happen sooner? Don't know the answer to that, all I can tell you is that I've seen "delays" in faulty software issues many times before.

My Dell Studio 1555 laptop started to randomly freeze about mid Sept. I thought for sure it was a software issue. I finally ended up reloading the OS. Didn't help. I ran across a 2009 thread where lots of people had the same issue and were promised that engineers were working on a BIOS revision. Since all the drivers and chipset were already up to date, I thought why not? The BIOS rev was from 4/2011. And guess what? It works perfectly now. Better yet, the fan runs less and the battery life has increased. Just saying this so that you don't rule other possibilities that might be an easy fix.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterO View Post
    When this HP Pavilion desktop was about a month beyond the 1-yr warranty it began to pop up a CPU overheating warning and would immediately shut down...I have never encountered a problem like this before in 25 years of using, building, and repairing PCs. I am eager to hear from others about possible causes - and a fix beyond buying fans.
    A longer warranty would have solved this one!
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-10-27 at 23:09.