New Lounger
    Thanks

Thoughts on a picture-taking event

Around the holiday, I volunteer for a "Pet Pictures with Santa" fundraising event. It's a bit chaotic since the volunteers can be a bit technologically naive, if not phobic. I want to simplify this as much as possible.

We used to use my digital SLR which could take several in a row and we could pluck out a good one off the CF card. When they provided new printers, the card was no longer compatible. First question, any suggestions on a point-and-shoot camera that writes to an SD card? It needs to have a fast response to capture a squirming dog sitting on Santa's lap. I also have an Eye-Fi card, so I figure the camera will transmit the pictures to a laptop via wireless.

The laptop I have in mind is XP and a bit pokey, so I'm looking for ideas how to strip it down to run as fast as possible. (New HD? Throw some memory on it too? Ubuntu?) Also, thoughts on a lightweight app to review pictures and crop pictures?

The store is providing the printers, 2 little HP Photo printers. We would drive them via USB. They supply everything else, paper, ink and cashiering. I'm guessing we can drive two printers and a mouse via the USB ports.

Any thoughts to make this easy?

New Lounger
    Thanks

CF to SD converter

You might consider a CF to SD converter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michaelsross For This Useful Post:

Orange Kitty (2013-04-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the idea on the converter card! I bought two and it worked well. I can also now use my Eye-Fi card with my Canon 20D.