New Lounger
    Thanks

Thoughts on a picture-taking event

Around the holiday, I volunteer for a "Pet Pictures with Santa" fundraising event. It's a bit chaotic since the volunteers can be a bit technologically naive, if not phobic. I want to simplify this as much as possible.

We used to use my digital SLR which could take several in a row and we could pluck out a good one off the CF card. When they provided new printers, the card was no longer compatible. First question, any suggestions on a point-and-shoot camera that writes to an SD card? It needs to have a fast response to capture a squirming dog sitting on Santa's lap. I also have an Eye-Fi card, so I figure the camera will transmit the pictures to a laptop via wireless.

The laptop I have in mind is XP and a bit pokey, so I'm looking for ideas how to strip it down to run as fast as possible. (New HD? Throw some memory on it too? Ubuntu?) Also, thoughts on a lightweight app to review pictures and crop pictures?

The store is providing the printers, 2 little HP Photo printers. We would drive them via USB. They supply everything else, paper, ink and cashiering. I'm guessing we can drive two printers and a mouse via the USB ports.

Any thoughts to make this easy?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks

CF to SD converter

You might consider a CF to SD converter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to michaelsross For This Useful Post:

Orange Kitty (2013-04-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the idea on the converter card! I bought two and it worked well. I can also now use my Eye-Fi card with my Canon 20D.