Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

W7 & Classic Shell

Classic Shell
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
    Came up in another thread
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ce-file-foobar

I was wondering whether any peeps have any experience or comments.

Regards

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had this on my Win 7 machine forever. Works great, especially if you configure it to use the old-style menus only with a shift-click.

I don't use it much, but as I'm writing this I'm playing with the XP-style fly-outs....I miss that system. It worked really well.

-John

Thanks
    Hi Jack,

I have two computers, a desktop running 64 bit Win7 Pro, and a laptop running 32 bit Win7 HP, and use the Classic Shell on both, as I do NOT like the "out of the box" GUIs installed by every version of Windows since Win9x.

If you're into customizing the way Windows 7 looks and behaves, the Classic Shell offers plenty of options (be sure to select 'All Settings' at the bottom of the page), but you might also want to take a look at:
    TweakNow PowerPack 2012 is shareware, but it has full capabilities during the 15 day trial period. The others are freebies.
    Last edited by JSS3rd; 2012-10-26 at 11:21. Reason: Corrected links
    Jim

Thanks
    I use Classic Shell on Win 8 Pro. Never tried it on Win 7. I was satisfied with the default Start Menu.

Works great in Win 8 Pro. Also worked in all beta and evaluation versions.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-26 at 15:01.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thx
    Nice List there.
    Time savers.
    @Medico: good to know.

Zig's recommendation: StartMenuX: http://www.startmenux.com/index.html
    Also looks like an option.
    Regards.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info! I have used Classic Shell since W7 came out, but never bothered to update it. Works even better now!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico
    I use Classic Shell on Win 8 Pro. Never tried it on Win 7. I was satisfied with the default Start Menu.

Works great in Win 8 Pro. Also worked in all beta and evaluation versions.
    I have to confess that I'm not interested in Win 8, although that could change as the OS matures.

I never have liked the Windows "out of the box" Start Menus. I work primarily from within Windows Explorer, and use a highly customized Start Menu. Maybe it's a case of old dogs and new tricks, but I still consider the Classic Win 9x interface to be the best one MS has produced. Apparently, there are a lot of other users who feel the same way.
    Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just moved to Win 7 and as even in XP I still used the Classic menu I immediately installed Classic Shell but have been disappointed to find that it does seem possible to edit or customize the classic menu. I used to lump together like apps in a common folder such as PDF reader, word processor, notepad etc under a folder Read & Write but I cannot find a way to do this in Classic Shell. Am I missing something? I can add a shortcut to the menu and move it up or down. I can make a new folder but cannot find how to move these shortcuts into that folder. If anyone wanted to do the same and found a solution I would love to hear it.

Thanks
    Hi KenWA,

It's actually easy, but you need to do it in the Start menu folder in Windows Explorer. First of all, using the Windows Secret > Special Folders section of TweakNow PowerPack I moved my Start menu folder to make it easier (for me, that is) to find and, as I recall, I placed it where I had my XP Pro Start menu ... C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

Wherever yours is, once you're there you can move things around anyway you want them, as you're simply dealing with shortcut files. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Start menu is highly customized. It took a little work, but it works for me, and I can't imagine having it look any other way.

Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JSS3rd,

I thought of this line but was unable to find Documents & Settings where the Start menu was located in XP. Is there no way to find and work on the Start menu using Explorer alone or is it necessary to buy Tweak Now?

Thanks
    Hi KenWA,

I'm not sure I understand your question. If I remember correctly, the Start menus (there's more than one, unfortunately) in XP are located in the Users folders in C:\Documents and Settings, and your installed programs seem to be scattered among them.

I stated earlier that the TweakNow PowerPack has full capabilities during the 15 day trial period, but I'm unable to verify that, as the trial period has expired on my computer. And, unfortunately, I can't find confirmation online. I'd suggest installing it and see if it has complete capabilities. If not, you can always uninstall it.
    Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JSS3rd,

I was away for the weekend but am back home now and I found the Start menu folder under Users\Username but when I click on it I get "... not accessible. Access denied." As a newbie to Win 7 I am now lost. Can you help? How does moving the file using TweakNow overcome this problem of permission?

Thanks
    Hi KenWA,

Sorry to have been so long in replying, but other things have occupied my attention for the past few days.

You probably have to take ownership of the folder. See this article for more information.
    Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JSS3rd
    Ownership and permissions are complex matters and are beyond me at the moment but I like the look of your menus and wish to pursue this matter. Do I take it that you are saying that merely moving the Start Menu folder from the User folder then enables editing to be done or is there something special aboiut the capabilities of TweakNow which enables the editing? Does TweakNow make it possible to move this reistricted file? Please forgive my ignorance here but I am totally overwhelmed by Win 7 and am really struggling to find my way around. It is not only the start menu structure (which we both agree has become steadily worse with each version after 98) but everything I was used to is now "hidden" behind obtuse menus and heading which don't tell you what is under that heading etc.
    Any way I am hoping you will be able to steer me in the right directin as far the Start Menu is concerned.

Thanks
    Ken, does the Start Menu folder you are trying to access have a large arrow on it? If so this is not a real folder, but a junction point. This is used by older legacy apps and is not accessible to users. You probably have hidden system files showing.

The actual Start Menu folder is at User, UserName, app data, roaming, Microsoft, Windows, Start Menu

Just do a Google search for Junction Points to read a detailed explanation of what they are.

To not see these hidden Junction Points just open Folder Option, View tab and check Hide Protected Operating System Files
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-20 at 06:11.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast