2 Star Lounger
    Waltham, MA, USA

Windows starts only on second or third try

I'm running Windows 7 fully updated on a Powerspec G160 computer (Intel i5 processor; 8 GB memory; 4 external hard drives with 2 on ESata and 2 on USB2).

It used to be that I could put the computer in sleep mode, shut off the external drives, and restart just by turning them on and hitting a key on the keyboard.

Now the computer will restart, but the mouse laser goes out and the mouse pointer freezes shortly after the restart. I have to shut the computer down with a 4-second button press to the on-off button, then restart.

When I start the computer cold, the startup screen appears but then the computer freezes after a few seconds -- no more disk activity. The second or thrid restart works.

I suspect the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center of causing these problems: they occurred immediately after I installed it. I uninstalled it but that did not cure the problem. The Device Manager appears to indicate that the computer is raising a family of mice. Under Human Interface Devices, it lists:

HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant device
    HID-compliant device
    Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
    USB Input Device
    USB Input device

-- though all I have connected is one rather old Microsoft laser mouse and an HP Internet Keyboard (also USB).

And under Mice and other Pointing Devices,

HID-Compliant Mouse.

What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

Polk County, Florida
    Do you have "Hot Swap" for your eSATA drives enabled in your system BIOS?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows