Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Add Media Center to Windows 8 Pro for free

Get your free key now even if you don't want to add it for awhile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../feature-packs

Jerry

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Had been posted here yesterday, Jerry : http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ted-time-offer

Thanks
    Sorry. Missed it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Problem is, they are not sending out key's yet. I have requested a key twice on 2 different emails. Nothing yet. I will keep watching. Without the key there is not much use trying to add features.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Just got my key. Install required a couple of reboots but was straight forward.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    They are sending, indeed. I got mine yesterday.

Thanks
    I just got my key. Installing now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Got a Media Centre key for my desktop. Took more than 24 hours. Have tried installing twice. On each occasion the installation failed at the very end and the system was restored to it's previous state with a message to contact Microsoft Support, which as usual is easier said than done, and I cannot find a relevant path through the system. Pity since I was impressed with the way the Upgrade Assistant managed the process of upgrading my desktop PC and laptop from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acbeaton View Post
    Got a Media Centre key for my desktop. Took more than 24 hours. Have tried installing twice. On each occasion the installation failed at the very end and the system was restored to it's previous state with a message to contact Microsoft Support, which as usual is easier said than done, and I cannot find a relevant path through the system. Pity since I was impressed with the way the Upgrade Assistant managed the process of upgrading my desktop PC and laptop from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro.
    Just in case, make sure you try that with your security software disabled or shut down.

Thanks
    Thanks, ruirib, fair suggestion. Tried it - didn't work. But it wouldn't be computing if everything worked, now would it? There's aye something!

Thanks
    Frustrated in my attempts to install Media Centre on my PC I used the product key to install it on my Win 8 x64 Pro laptop. No problems and it is working well.

Microsoft promise 90 days free support for Media Centre. Does anyone know how to take advantage of this?

Thanks
    It took me around 20 hours after submitting my request before I received my key. Being that I had a lot to do anyway, updating, installing Office 2010 & other apps, it was no big deal.

Probably when the rush is over, the keys will be sent out faster. I've also noticed that Digital River isn't managing Windows 8 distribution, as with 7, that may play a part in the issue.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Thanks

Getting help from Microsoft Support.

I asked in an earlier post whether anyone new how to get help for my Windows Media Centre problem from Microsoft Support. This afternoon I got onto the Microsoft Answer Desk online support services here:

https://answerdesk.support.microsoft...tkey=awasachat

They were helpful and confirmed that my free Media Centre product key came with 90 days free support. My problem appears to be a Windows activation problem, but not yet resolved.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acbeaton View Post
    I asked in an earlier post whether anyone new how to get help for my Windows Media Centre problem from Microsoft Support. This afternoon I got onto the Microsoft Answer Desk online support services here:

https://answerdesk.support.microsoft...tkey=awasachat

They were helpful and confirmed that my free Media Centre product key came with 90 days free support. My problem appears to be a Windows activation problem, but not yet resolved.
    Thanks for updating us about it .

Thanks
    acbeaton, if your issue hasn't been resolved, I hope that it is soon.

Honestly, like you stated, my experience being similar (a trouble free upgrade), I don't see why the Media Center supplied doesn't work. It *may* have something to do with the ones who are handling the process.

Digital River was/is a dependable vendor for MS Win 7 & many other services, Arvato Digital Services were the ones who processed Windows 8 promos, after taking a second, closer look at the Media Center key email, Catalysis Corporation processed the delivery of the Media Center keys.

With two 3rd parties involved in this Windows 8 promo, it's a wonder that more users aren't having issues. It's my guess that MS went with the lower cost bidder to deliver these products. They should have stuck with Digital River on this, I've bought several software packages through them, with no negative issues.

For those who may not know, this free key must be claimed & used by 01/31/13, so those who waits until the last minute to upgrade via this promo may not receive the key in time. It's best to purchase at the latest, after support for Win 8 CP/RP expires on 01/15/13, or risk being left out.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast