Thanks

Unable to open partitions on networked computers

I am the only user of my two computers, a desktop running 64-bit Win7 Pro SP1 and a laptop running 32-bit Win7 HP SP1, each with four partitions, on a home network. The computers see each other in Windows Explorer and are able to copy and move files to and from the various partitions, with one exception ... neither computer is able to access the C: partition on the other computer.

Instead, I get a Network Error message stating that I don't have permission to access that partition, despite the fact that sharing is enabled, and full permissions have been granted. This is true no matter what type of network the computers are set up on, homegroup, office, or public.

This one has me tearing my hair out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim

Thanks
    Owner of the system drive is "TrustedInstaller". Have you taken ownership of the C: drive? Your other partitions are probably owned by SYSTEM, which would allow you to be able to share them.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The other partitions are owned by Administrators (me). I changed the ownership of the C: partition on each of the two computers to the same, but was still unable to access it from the other computer. So, I changed the ownership to SYSTEM, but the result is the same ... I still get the Network Error message, even after rebooting.
    Jim

Thanks
    Did you change both Permissions in the Security tab and the permissions in the Advanced sharing property sheet?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yes.
    Jim

Thanks
    I don't normally "Share" my C: drive because there's nothing on it except the OS, so nothing really that needs sharing.

But I just tried it, and I'm able to share C: without taking ownership or changing permissions. I did have to log in, however.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Do you have the same user ids/passwords on both computers? That simplifies networking a lot.

Jerry