Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

win7premium 64bit wont recognize all of my ram

hi guys.. i have a problem and it is making me crazy.. i have a itel motherboard.. i spoke with intel about the bios , they said it is not the bios.
    i called microsoft and after 2 and half hours of shear frustration and bearly understandable english, my head is about to blow off.
    i have win 7 premium , 64 bit, i had 8 gigs or ram , i now have 16gigs. all i want to do is be able to use my ram that i paid for and installed.
    microsoft gave me some line of garbage that they could help but it would cost me 99 dollars. i am laid off from work, i cant afford to pay them ..
    first i was told its the bios , i spoke to intel , they guaranteed me it is not the bios, my motherboard can handle 32 gigs or ram. .. it was at this point that microsoft gave me the 99dollar song and dance. I am not a techie , i am a average blue collar guy who uses his computer.. if anyone can help please ... it will be greatly appreciated. i love win 7 , easy to use, never had a need to call msoft over anything until this .. i just want to have my computer recognize the ram. if i broke any of the rules i do appologise ,, i am so frustrated..

Please , please help.

debadge

Thanks
    How much of your ram is being recognized? Click Start > Computer > System properties.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    8 megs is being recognized... the amount i had before i raised it ...

Thanks
    How much of your ram does your BIOS recognize?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Are you using the original sticks and new sticks or they all new sticks. 2 sticks of 8 Gb or 4 sticks of 4 Gb? If you are using the originals and new, are you sure they are the same?

Have you made sure they are inserted properly? You might try swapping the sticks and see what happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    as for the bios i didnt do anything with the bios ... thats the one thing on the computer i am afraid of doing... was i supposed to do somethjing to the bios?? like updaTE IT??/

as for the ram i had 4 2 gig dims ... i now have 2 8 gig dimms the ram is paired and in the right slots .. .;... i am good with the physical part i made the puter myself.. only thing i didnt do was the bios my buddy did that and he is on a aircraft carrier now and i cant get a hold of him.. when i called itel the maker of the board i talked to the guy ... he asked for bios number and i gave it to him .. he said the board is good for 32 gigs of ram. but if i have to go in the bios and change it ... that i did not do... the thing that has me mad is .. i never call microsoft... and they tell me that my windows is out of warranty.. the one time i need them to do something... . .. do i have to go into the bios update and change the ram in the bios?????... i thought windows 7 did that stuff.. years ago i ran dos.. on a old computer .. i had to do all kinds of stuff on that ..but thats almost 20 years ago .. i dont really know anything about windows... a few months ago i decided to build a puter .. it is a core i-5 2 harddrives.. a dvd burner and a bluray burner..... never had any trouble at all .. until i decided to buy ram because i was geting a huge discount on newegg.... i remember paYING almoat 50 dollar for a meg of ram years ago .. and now i could get 16gigs for a great price.. so i figured .. well ram can never hurt... so thats where i stand ..

thanks for listening to me bitch

Thanks
    That means that you're only seeing one stick of ram. I would shut it down, open the case, remove and re-install the ram.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok i will try that again.. the ram slot are 1-3 and 2-4 go together... i am looking at the big paper that came with the mboard.... ... i know the ram is opk m.. because i had it put in a different p0uter and it worked fine,,... .. i must tell you thou i have done this 5 or 6 times.... and it hasnt helped at all yet ... the ram is locked down nice and tight i heard it make the clickin sound..... would i have to update the bios .. like i was saying .. or would windows do thats on its own??... i am going to log off .. reseat the ram .. and trry one more time .... i will be back on tomorrow to let you know what happened... thanks guys..
    atleast i am learning something ...here

: ))

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Debadge,

??Have you tried the sticks in BOTH slots 1-3 and 2-4???

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

yes i have tried the ram in every possible slot in every possible way .. that is not the problem.. i am beginning to think i may have to go into the bios and manually tell it i have 16 giogs.. does this sound like a possibility?

Thanks
    That usually isn't an option, as far as I can recall. Typically the BIOS recognizes attached hardware and reports what it sees. There are settings for dual-channel, and some BIOS allow timing adjustments for RAM, but not setting the amount of RAM installed.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Have you looked up your particular CPU on the Intel site for detailed specs? There, it'll show everything, including how much RAM it can run. That's what I done before upgrading my notebook to 8GB RAM.

http://ark.intel.com/

You can also use the Crucial System Scanner, but I suspect that the Intel specs will be correct. Download & run it.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

New Lounger
    Thanks
    guys thanks for all your help

my ram is now recogmnized... it6 seems they were a tiny spec of plastic stopping my ram from seating properly... i tried many times and never noticed... it ws all because of the crucial systems scanner than i found this out ..BRAVO!!!!! if i can ever be of any help to you please just ask .... i owe my sanity to you guys ... i thought i was going nuts, until i did the scan took the ram out and got my can of air ... then i saw this tiny spec of plastic fly across the board and since then its been all good .. thanks again guys

john

14. The Following User Says Thank You to debadge For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2012-11-01)

Thanks
    Heck, I think we're all a little nuts. Glad you solved the problem. It sure sounded like a H/W problem to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks for the post, debadge. It's always great to hear about an issue ending in success. And I think Medico is right, as well - I think we're all a little nuts, too!

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast