Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update problem with Windows 8 Pro

System is an HP Slimline desktop, which *had* been running Windows 8 Pro on a trial basis. Restored/wiped said system (from recovery media) back to Windows 7 Home Premium, and set it up for production use. Got the Win 8 Pro upgrade, and installed it. Trying to run Windows update to grab the four updates that were posted today.

The update keeps failing with an error message. The error code is: 80070543, and the message is: "Windows Update ran into a problem."

Clicked on the "get help with this error" link. Ran the Windows Update troubleshooter, that supposedly finds some problems with Windows Update, and then fixes them. Rerun Windows Update, attempt to download and install the four updates. Update fails, repeatedly. Have tried rebooting the system. Still no go.

Any suggestions?

Not a good start to the Windows 8 era, as far as I'm concerned.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

Thanks
    Did you do the Upgrade Installation or a Custom Installation from DVD? Even though Win 8 is much better than previous OS's at the Upgrade, this somewhat depends on the status of the original installation.

Check the WU service. Type services in the search box and Enter. Scroll down to the WU service. Should be Automatic and running.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Carroll, hello. I did a huge update just now and all was well. A FWIW, no less. JP.

Thanks
    I had five updates after I upgraded Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. #5 was rather lengthy, time-wise, but there were no problems. The system asked for a restart after the updates were completed, and that went smoothly, as well.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Microsoft will help you for free on Windows Update issues. Click on the "Windows update fails...." link on this page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Did you do the Upgrade Installation or a Custom Installation from DVD? Even though Win 8 is much better than previous OS's at the Upgrade, this somewhat depends on the status of the original installation.

Check the WU service. Type services in the search box and Enter. Scroll down to the WU service. Should be Automatic and running.
    I did the upgrade from within Windows 7. This is the second time this particular machine has been upgraded from a version of Windows 7 to Windows 8. First time it was from a system upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Windows 7 Home Premium. Then the Windows 7 Ultimate system was upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. Didn't have any issues with that one that I can recall.

This time around, it was Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. Other than the upgrade path the first time around (Home Premium to Ultimate to 8 Pro), the only other differences I can think of are: A. That the first time around, I had Office 2007 installed. This time around, Had Office 2010 Starter Edition, and (I know it's end of life, but we've got a license for it) Word 2002 installed prior to the upgrade from Home Premium to 8 Pro. B: The first time around, I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed and running. The Windows 8 upgrade uninstalled MSE. The second time, I had the 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security running.

In the troubleshooting Windows Update problems section, it mentioned turning off third party firewalls, as that could interfere. Tried that. No go. Also tried uninstalling Norton Internet Security. Still no go. Automatic updates are enabled, and set to run at 3:00 AM. I just checked the system in question (it's at the office, and I'm at home - thank goodness for remote access!), and the updates at 3:00 AM failed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't have any problems the first time around. That's what's so puzzling. It worked the first time. Obviously, something is different this time. Whether it's the previously mentioned difference in antivirus software installed, or the difference in office suites, I don't know. I *really* don't want to start over from scratch and do a clean install, but that may be my only option.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    If you feel that you need to go through a reinstall option, you may consider a Windows refresh - something new in Windows 8. You will lose just your desktop windows apps, all else will be fine and Windows will be as good as new.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I had five updates after I upgraded Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. #5 was rather lengthy, time-wise, but there were no problems. The system asked for a restart after the updates were completed, and that went smoothly, as well.
    It must be a problem with a specific update. I just ran the check for updates portion again, and it found a definition update for Windows Defender, as well as driver updates for the sound card. I deselected the sound card driver update, and let it run. It installed the definition update, and failed on the four important updates. So, I de-selected the four important updates, and selected the sound card driver update. It ran successfully. So, next step is to try and install each of the four important updates one at a time. We'll see what happens that way.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    If you feel that you need to go through a reinstall option, you may consider a Windows refresh - something new in Windows 8. You will lose just your desktop windows apps, all else will be fine and Windows will be as good as new.
    We'll see what happens. I know Microsoft is supposed to have improved Windows Update for Windows 8 to cut down on problems like this. So far, I'm not impressed. ;-)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried installing the four important updates one at a time. Each one of them failed. So, the problem appears to be with Important Updates.

Thanks
    This really does seem like a problem with the Upgrade. Others will disagree, and Win 8 is better at Upgrade Installs, but it's not perfect. I have never had a problem such as this when Custom Installing. I figure the extra time I put in to customizing and installing apps will be saved on the other end. How much time will be spent T/S and fixing this problem?

My, so far 2, installations are perfect without problems, and both were Custom Installed. I have installed all updates offered so far.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I think I'm probably going to wipe it and do a clean install. I did the upgrade to be able to keep some of the software that came with the computer in question, but I think I'll be better off just doing a clean install. Why this one upgrade doesn't want to work, I have no idea. I just don't know that I want to spend the time tracking this one down. I *may* try the Refresh idea, but can't do anything about that until I go to the office.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An update: I did end up doing a clean install. While I did manage to get Windows Update to successfully run (the problem was with a driver update for our Laserjet 1320 printer - the same driver update that I was never able to get to successfully install on a Windows 7 system), I ended up doing a clean install. Read on for the reason why.

After getting the Windows Update issue figured out, I then proceeded to add the "free for a limited time" Windows Media Center upgrade. The upgrade kept failing with a "Something went wrong" message. Contacted Microsoft Tech support, and the tech connected to the computer in question, and spent over an hour running a sfc /scannow scan, as well as disabling and enabling various processes, trying to trace down the the problem with why the attempt to add Media Center kept failing. The MS tech seemed to feel he would be able to trace down the problem, but it was going to take a fair amount of time. After discussing the options, I decided I'd do a clean install of Windows 8, as I had backed up the various documents, photos, etc., prior to the Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Figured (and the tech agreed with the choice) that a clean install would bypass any of the HP-supplied software that *might* have been causing the problem. Don't know for sure that it was something from HP that was interfering with the addition of Media Center. I just knew that I didn't have time to go through an extended troubleshooting process.

I'm impressed with the speed of a Windows 8 install. I had Win 8 Pro installed, totally updated (prior to the installation of any additional software), had Media Center added, installed our dental practice management software, and installed the regular complement of open source and freeware software we use, before I left for the day. The MS tech worked on the computer from 12:45 PM to about 2:00 PM, before I made the decision to to the clean install. Had it up and running under the clean install by the time I left.

A major contributor to the speedy setup was the web site I used to install the open source and freeware software I use: ninite.com You go to that web site, select the software you want, and it creates a downloader that grabs the latest version of all the software you've selected, and handles installing all of it, silently. It also declines to install the adware that tries to tag along on some of the software installs. You can also use that downloader to update all the software you installed via that route. I'll be using ninite.com to set up the other systems I have to upgrade to Windows 8. GREAT time saver.

My apologies for veering slightly off the topic of this thread. ;-)

Thanks
    I will make a very strong suggestion. I will preface it by saying the WU w/ Win8 is quite sophisticated, more respectable than ever & personally have encountered no snag, @ all. Nor any of my clients. I recommend having Windows 8 BUT, w/out, unnecessarily, putting in Norton & w/out, unnecessarily, using 3rd party firewalls rather than the native Windows Firewall. and try WU, using the OS like that.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast