Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wonderful tool, it tells me I don't have enough RAM and won't allow me to order!

I've went through this before with the same hardware and Windows 8RP refused to install when run within W7 but quite happily installed when booted from a USB flash drive!

ETA I have 1.5GB RAM.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1.5GB is not enough to run win 8 properly it may run but at greatly reduced speed and reliability which of course you will blame win 8 for. Need a minimum of 2GB preferred 4GB to get the best out of win8.
    I have ordered the Win 8 disk now so will run this assessment program to see if I will be likely to have issues.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Would cost next to nothing to throw another 500 RAM in the box. Sticks of RAM are cheap & only take 2 seconds to insert.

And good point, Clive. Please, people, don't start blaming the OS for things that are hardware, software or 3rd Party related. That sort of thing contributed greatly to giving Vista a bad name when it was 1st released & it never recovered from that. Let's try to avoid having that happen to something as good as Windows 8.

By the way, if x86, 2G is ok. To take advantage of x64, 4 is needed. Of course, one can have more but these are recommended starting points for each bit-set.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-10-27 at 13:37.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    1.5GB is not enough to run win 8 properly it may run but at greatly reduced speed and reliability which of course you will blame win 8 for. Need a minimum of 2GB preferred 4GB to get the best out of win8.
    I have ordered the Win 8 disk now so will run this assessment program to see if I will be likely to have issues.
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there.

I dual boot between W7HP & W8RP and W8 is more responsive. Perhaps it may need to build up all the cr@p that W7 has over the years but it is sure as heck is faster at present.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Would cost next to nothing to throw another 500 RAM in the box. Sticks of RAM are cheap & only take 2 seconds to insert.
    PC3200 sticks of RAM ain't cheap nowadays and I only have 2 slots for memory currently populated with 1GB & 512MB.

Thanks
    Well, maybe increase it sometime later. For now, Win8 (x32) will run ok w/ the 1.5 It will run on less robust gear than previous Windows & at specs less than the advertised minimums. As for as it slowing down as material on it builds up... it won't; certainly not enough to ever notice. And, it a dual-boot, w/ both OSs on the same box it is easy & immediate to see that the Win8 is more responsive.

If & when you do change the RAM, it is always 'Best Practice' to go w/ matched pairs, 2 x 1G, for example.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And good point, Clive. Please, people, don't start blaming the OS for things that are hardware, software or 3rd Party related. That sort of thing contributed greatly to giving Vista a bad name when it was 1st released & it never recovered from that. Let's try to avoid having that happen to something as good as Windows 8.

By the way, if x86, 2G is ok. To take advantage of x64, 4 is needed. Of course, one can have more but these are recommended starting points for each bit-set.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Can I remind you of this post?

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post872208

Thanks
    According to MS minimum requirements are 1 Gb Ram for 32 Bit and 2 Gb Ram for 64 Bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It should be just fine on one gig for 32 and two for 64 if the resource load is lighter but similar to Win 7. Depends on the processor match a little, obviously a 3gen i7 is going to be tapping its electrons but generally an older system with one or two gigs will have an appropriately matched processor.

SSDs can go a long way in mitigating lack of RAM also, obviously because any pagefile hits are 4 to 8 times faster than a disk drive and long term storage I/O speed is far more effective than additional RAM (above a decent amount) from what I've seen in all my SSD updated systems. Of course SSDs are not the cheapest either, but they're getting more cost effective all the time.

Thanks
    We are all on the same wavelength. 1G & 2G. Just a wee reminder, that I was talking to... IF 4 or more an x64 will see & use it all, an x86 will not... stops @ about 3.25. Ergo, putting a whole lot of RAM in a 32-bit box is a waste. Sorry, not meaning to take this 'off-topic' or anything.

'Brownie', I do recall that 'old' Thread. Just for the heck of it, take the 500 stick out & see what happens w/ just the 1G.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    According to MS minimum requirements are 1 Gb Ram for 32 Bit and 2 Gb Ram for 64 Bit.
    Maybe so but I was able to install the RP with the same minimum requirements?

Anyhow, if MS don't want my money it's their choice!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'Brownie', I do recall that 'old' Thread. Just for the heck of it, take the 500 stick out & see what happens w/ just the 1G.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    We're posting at the same time!

I'll give that a try just now.

Thanks
    Wish we could determine what is preventing things for you.

Ok, will await your updated news...

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm here now with only 1GB of memory using W8 x64RP. Still can't download W8 because I don't have enough RAM!

Perhaps MS should allow purchasers to override their recommendations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast