Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Office in Win 8 Pro

Which versions if any of Microsoft Office will work in Win 8 Pro?
    Compatibility wizard says Office 2003 not compatible.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    I have run 2010 and now 2013. I would guess 2007 should work too, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks
    I have heard of many people using Office 2003, at least with the beta editions. I am certain of 2007 and 2010. I have installed 2010 on my Win 8 Pro.

If 2003 works with the beta versions it should work with Win 8 Pro. See this thread for further info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at the Windows Compatibilty Centre suggests that it isn't compatible unfortunately.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. If its true that win 8 won't be compatible with Office 2003 then that's me out of the running as I am not paying for another version of Office that I don't want. I tried 2007 trial version when it came out did not like the ribbon feature at all plus other things and reverted back to 2003 which in my opinion is still the best version out there.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I can confirm Office 2007 works in Windows 8. Did have to change Windows Update to pick up Office Updates though. Don't recall having to do that with Windows 7.

Jerry

Thanks
    Clive,

I just loaded Office 2003 Pro into Win 8 and everything I've tried so far works just fine.
    Word, Excel, Access. I haven't tried Publisher or Outlook yet but will report back later.

Note: I've loaded 64 Bit Win 8 Pro on an older PC w/o the Secure Boot feature.

Update: Outlook and PowerPoint also work fine.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-10-27 at 19:42.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Clive,

I just loaded Office 2003 Pro into Win 8 and everything I've tried so far works just fine.
    Word, Excel, Access. I haven't tried Publisher or Outlook yet but will report back later.

Note: I've loaded 64 Bit Win 8 Pro on an older PC w/o the Secure Boot feature.

Update: Outlook and PowerPoint also work fine.
    I've only tried the last release in a VHD but Office97, minus Outlook, installed easier and is at least as functional as on Win7 64 bit. All my Access 97 databases work fine as does Excell and Word for what I've used in testing over the last few months.

I wanted to download an .iso of released Pro 64 and buy additional licenses but MS said nope, not yet. So I'll wait and hold off until Win7 has bitten the dust for my Desktops.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Office compatibility with Windows 8 from Office-watch.com.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Thanks for the replies. If its true that win 8 won't be compatible with Office 2003 then that's me out of the running as I am not paying for another version of Office that I don't want. I tried 2007 trial version when it came out did not like the ribbon feature at all plus other things and reverted back to 2003 which in my opinion is still the best version out there.
    I've installed Office XP (at least, the Word 2002 component) on my Windows 8 Pro system at the office, and am using it with no ill effects. I did get the "Can't find Visual Fox Pro" message during the installation. I clicked Ignore, and it installed and is working just fine. It works well enough that our dental practice management software that requires MS Word for its "SmartDocs" document filing system works as advertised. SmartDocs *requires* MS Word to work with MS Word files. It won't work with LibreOffice, Open Office, or any of the other MS-compatible products.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

Thanks
    People are going to be (pleasantly) surprised what & how much works on 8 w/out snags or issues. @ least, I feel we may see this.

I'm honestly seeing and hearing a lot more excited, positive, enthusiastic comments & editorials since Oct. 24th and since more & more folks are actually getting their hands on Win8 GA then we might have ever expected after or from some of what we were reading & hearing before its release.

Wow, long sentence, eh? LOL

Any version of Office should be fine although, I wouldn't bank on 2k or earlier, lol.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-11-02 at 22:32.

Thanks

Win 8 Pro adds feature to Office 2003 Pro Outlook

Hey Y'all,

Here's a good one. Even though MS says that Office 2003 Pro SP-3 is incompatible with Win 8 Pro it not only works just fine on my machine but I can now resize Outlook Email text with the Ctrl+Scroll Wheel feature. This does NOT work in Win 7 HP!

One possible problem I'm still researching is that, currently, it seems that Win 8 will NOT accept personal code signing certificates generated in Win 7 for signing projects in Office 2003 on Win 8 Pro.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    People are going to be (pleasantly) surprised what & how much works on 8 w/out snags or issues. @ least, I feel we may see this.

I'm honestly seeing a lot more excited, positive, enthusiastic comments & editorials since Oct. 24th and since more & more folks are actually getting their hands on Win8 GA then we might have ever expected after or from some of what we were reading & hearing before its release.

Wow, long sentence, eh? LOL

Any version of Office should be fine although, I wouldn't bank on 2k or earlier, lol.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    I'm actually considering grabbing the $39.99 upgrade deal for Windows 8 Pro for my personal systems (I've got two laptops, both of which have run Windows 7 at one point.) My main laptop is a Dell Inspiron that's running Vista Home Premium, and the Acer laptop is an older system (2006 era) that's running Windows XP Media Center 2005. Upgrading both systems to Windows 8 Pro would be cheaper than grabbing the Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack that's on clearance in some places.

I'm actually surprised I'm considering an upgrade to Windows 8. I wasn't that impressed with the preview versions. But, working with it at the office, and reading the Windows Secrets newsletter's issue yesterday on Windows 8 has changed my outlook on it. I want to be running an OS that will be supported for a while yet. Both XP and Vista are soon to be end of life.

However, If it weren't for the fact that I've got some software that doesn't run well under Linux's Wine Project package (Office 2003), I'd seriously consider throwing Ubuntu or Linux Mint at these two systems. But, I'm also the family "tech support department", and the rest of the family is running some flavor of Windows for the most part.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carroll.ray View Post
    I'm actually considering grabbing the $39.99 upgrade deal for Windows 8 Pro for my personal systems (I've got two laptops, both of which have run Windows 7 at one point.) My main laptop is a Dell Inspiron that's running Vista Home Premium, and the Acer laptop is an older system (2006 era) that's running Windows XP Media Center 2005. Upgrading both systems to Windows 8 Pro would be cheaper than grabbing the Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack that's on clearance in some places.

I'm actually surprised I'm considering an upgrade to Windows 8. I wasn't that impressed with the preview versions. But, working with it at the office, and reading the Windows Secrets newsletter's issue yesterday on Windows 8 has changed my outlook on it. I want to be running an OS that will be supported for a while yet. Both XP and Vista are soon to be end of life.

However, If it weren't for the fact that I've got some software that doesn't run well under Linux's Wine Project package (Office 2003), I'd seriously consider throwing Ubuntu or Linux Mint at these two systems. But, I'm also the family "tech support department", and the rest of the family is running some flavor of Windows for the most part.
    Probably it's better run the pre-assessment tool on the 2006 system, just to make sure the CPU complies with the requirements for Windows 8.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Probably it's better run the pre-assessment tool on the 2006 system, just to make sure the CPU complies with the requirements for Windows 8.
    Oh, I'll definitely run the upgrade assistant. I don't expect any problems. It ran Windows 7, and actually ran the preview version of Windows 8. Has a dual core AMD Turion 64-bit processor, and 3GB of ram. Has a 160GB hard drive in it. I was planning to run the assessment, but I don't anticipate any problems. I know I'll be doing a wipe and install of Windows 8 on it, as it's now running XP Media Center. It's a backup/secondary system, so open source and freeware software will do just fine for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast