Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation Upgrading from RP Confirmed as Doable!

FYI:

It has been confirmed. Can upgrade from Windows 8 RP via Windows 8 Upgrade successfully. It does work, it can be done. This is good news for folks that wiped out their non-beta Windows they HAD before (wrongly) installing the RP on top of it & or for folks who have been dual-booting the RP beside a previous Windows which, they want to, still, keep... just go ahead & use the Win8 Upgrade where the RP is.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    To qualify for the Upgrade pricing you do have to be replacing the qualifying OS. If the dual boot OS is the qualifying OS, then even though it is technically possible, it is not legal to do so. If however Win 8 RP was installed over XP or Vista or another Win 7 then the Win 8/Win 7 dual boot would still be legal.

Otherwise you would need to purchase the more expensive Full Install, OEM edition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I never had a qualifying OS on my SSD except for RP and the upgrade worked for me. I fully expected to do a restore of the image I made of the hard drive I replaced with the SSD, but discovered the upgrade from RP worked.

Also saw a posting where a user used the upgrade disk on a bare drive where it installed but did not activate. He called Microsoft and they asked him for a qualifying OS on another drive and they activated him.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-10-27 at 16:08.

Thanks
    Like I said technically possible. Perhaps the bios in your PC had a bit set from the original HD with a qualifying OS on it. I do not know all the technical aspects of how this works. It has always been possible to install a OS onto a virgin HD using an Upgrade Media. There are times however that the legality of this is in question. With the original HD on your PC pulled for the SSD replacement, you are not using the OS on the original HD, so technically you have replaced the original OS with the new Win 8 Pro. It probably would not be legal to pop that old HD into another PC and continue using that OS since it was the qualifying OS for Win 8 Pro.

Fortunately I'm not a lawyer and do not have to argue thee points in court.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I'm personally not concerned about the legality as I could have put the laptops original OS on the SSD and upgraded from there. Replacing a hard drive and reinstalling an OS is legal. I've called microsoft to revalidate an OEM OS in the past with no problem.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Jerry. All, still, fits w/ the fact that the person has or had a licensed OS prior to getting the RP. If and call to MS is necessary, yes, they are cooperative & quite accommodating, making a call is no biggie.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I also upgraded from Win 8 RP to Win 8 Pro successfully. The only thing I'm not sure about is what to do about emails in Win 8. I use the latest version of Windows Live Mail on my Win 7 Pro partition, and would like to do so with Win 8 Pro. However, I understand from an earlier thread that this caused problems. Does anyone know if that is still the case with Win 8 Pro?

Also, has anyone tried the mail program included in Win 8 Pro, and if so what is your opinion of it?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I'm using Windows live Mail on Windows 8 and it works just as well as it did with Windows 7. Don't care for the Metro mail app.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Roy,

I'll 2nd that, lol; about the Mail APP. But, yes, WL Mail will or would continue to do fine for you on Win8, as Jerry confirms.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I am using WLM 2012 very successfully. So far I have 4 different email address polled each time I check mail. In my case not only do I not particularly like the mail app but my main email is a Pop3 system through my ISP. The mail app does not support Pop3.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, but there is one thing I am still concerned about. If I use WLM on both my Win 7 and Win 8 partitions will that cause problems? I seem to remember that in another thread Ted said it did with Win 8 RP.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Roy,

I can see no reason for that. When dual-booting it is, indeed, like having 2 separate & distinct computers that cannot be used simultaneously. One can use whatever mail handler on whatever machine. Same as I have twin mail handlers on my dual-boot 7 & 8. Office Outlook on both, WL mail, Hotmail or Outlook.com, there isn't & can't be any conflict. Short answer, NO, will cause no problems. You log off 1 machine, go to the other, use whatever mail whilst in 1 or the other, no problem. Same as one could use the same mail handler on their Desktop machine & their Laptop.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-10-28)

Thanks
    I have my WLM Store Folder on my data partition (File, Options, Advanced, Maintenance, Store Folder) I keep all data on this separate partition.

Accessing WLM from both accounts does cause a hiccup in the WLM system in that it creates new folders and recovers the account when switching from one to the other.

I found it good policy to always access WLM from just the same OS, never from both.

If you do not set your WLM Store Folder on a separate partition from the OS, then this should not be a problem. The problem there is that a mail while accessed from Win 7 will not be available in Win 8 unless you leave the mail on the mail server so that it can be downloaded from both accounts. If you do this eventually your space on the mail server will fill up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Using WLM for Pop accounts in multiple OS installations can cause problems. I've used it woth hotmail and Imap acounts on multiple OS's (even multiple PCs) with no issues.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, so maybe be worthwhile in a set-up like this (dual-bot) to opt for some other mail handler...

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast