Lounger
    Thanks

De-activating Windows 8 following upgrade

I want to run Windows 8 Pro on my current 'main' laptop (Dell SXPS 1340 - 3 years old) which is currently running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I have purchased a £25 upgrade from Microsoft and have also obtained the key for Windows Media Centre for free from Microsoft.

I plan to image my Windows 7 the way I normally do on a weekly basis using Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

I would then upgrade to Windows 8. I imagine I would have to activate the Windows 8 as part of this process. It is possible I may have problems using Windows 8 after activating. e.g. the compatibility checker I ran as part of the Upgrade purchase advised me that my Paragon software is incompatible. More worryingly it says my Bluetooth software is incompatible. I cannot afford to be without Bluetooth as I use it for operating my mouse amongst other things.

So, let’s assume I have a problem, and use my Windows 7 image to pick up where I was before the Windows 8 installation.

I would then want to try upgrading my second laptop (Sony Vaio) to Windows 8.

Eventually I get to my question!!

Could I use this same copy of Windows 8 Upgrade to upgrade this second laptop, or would I run into the problem that it is already activated on another laptop, although it has been overwritten on that laptop?

If that will be a problem, is there a way of de-activating the Windows 8 installation prior to restoring Windows 7 on my main Dell laptop.

Is this going to be a problem? If it is, then it may be easiest just to buy a second Windows 8 Upgrade license.

Thanks
    When you buy from Microsoft, that is a retail package, not OEM. So the OS is portable in that you may uninstall from one device and then install on another. You may have to make a call to Microsoft for activation, but you will be able to move it to another laptop.

Buying a second license isn't necessary for the scenario you describe, but should you wish to buy a second license at some point, just buy the download again. I didn't see any limitation as to the number of licenses one may purchase.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-28 at 18:24. Reason: spelling
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    My Bluetooth worked better than in Win 7. It searched for and found my wife's mouse with no problems at all. (I have installed 2 PC's with win 8 without problems so far) I always use the burn to DVD, clean install with a format. This gives me a pristine installation every time.

I would assume Paragon will offer an update for Win 8. My Acronis allows be to create a Rescue Boot Disk, then both create Images and restore Images without ever booting into Windows. Perhaps you should check for this option in Paragon.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren.
    I had not looked at it like that; so no de-activation is needed (or possible?).

Thanks Medico.
    1. re Bluetooth, I'll see if mine works when I upgrade to Windows 8.

2. re Paragon software, for the past year I've been using the Paragon provided Win PE environment to image and restore complete partitions. This comprises a boot disk which runs Win PE and includes the full set of Paragon Hard Disk tools. It hadn't occurred to me that the boot disk runs independently of my operating system and doesn't care what's on the laptop - Windows 7 or Windows 8 - it just images the partitions. So it should have no problem imaging and restoring the Windows 8 partition.

3. re Windows 8 install - I have been trying to decide whether to 'clean' install or upgrade whilst keeping applications etc. I would prefer a clean install, but when I clean installed Windows 7 in place of (unused) Vista, I had to follow the install with installation of Dell drivers and applications for my SXPS 1340 laptop. They included nVidia chipset, slot load DVD Reader, SD card reader, video card, network card, Dell Quickset application, IDT Audio, 370 Bluetooth mini card, Synaptics Touch pad, CIR receiver. These were all provided by Dell for Windows 7. Dell is currently providing no drivers for Windows 8 and I doubt they ever will for the 4 year old SXPS 1340 design. Would it seem reasonable to clean install and then use the Windows 7 64 bit drivers/applications?

Thanks
    Geoff

Thanks
    Our laptops are 3 or 4 years old as well, Sony. The Win 7 drivers worked for anything that Win 8 did not have drivers for. In fact the Action Center (little flag on the Taskbar) told me my SC Card had drivers on the Sony site and pointed to the correct drivers. Surprised the heck out of me. Win 8 Pro pointing me to a driver I needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There is no way to deactivate a Windows license that I know of. Just use the same license on the other computer and if you have activation issues, then call the Microsoft number that will be offered by Windows 8.

Your reasoning regarding using Paragon from the boot disk seems entirely correct .

As to the hardware drivers, you should run the Windows 8 pre-assessment tool. If no hardware incompatibilities are found (and I presume the tool, as in previous versions, would point them out), you can only find if there are issues after you install Windows 8. Image before you do so that you can go back if there are serious issues.
    Now, regardless of whether you upgrade keeping your apps or go for a clean install, the driver installation won't be different. Windows 8 has said to be have the best upgrade behavior of all Windows editions, so if you feel you could spare yourself the work of reinstalling all apps (and the assessment tool will tell you if you have unsupported apps), go ahead and choose upgrade instead of going for a clean install. If things turn out bad, there is always the clean install path still available. I have always gone with upgrade installs instead of clean installs and didn't really have issues. With 8, I did a clean install, just because I wanted to go 64 bit.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib,

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Your link pre-assessment tool links to an Adobe forum. Do you have the correct link available?

Thanks

Geoff

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry about that. I have fixed it in my post, but here it is once more: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...e-to-windows-8

Thanks

Thanks
    Oops, beat me to it RUI.

Jerry