Lounger
    Thanks

Question Huawei E586 Mi-Fi Network and Windows P2P networking.

I live in the UK and use a Huawei E586 for my home internet connection. I am fortunate as the local '3' cell has been upgraded to HSPA+. I now have no land-line.

I can connect all my Windows PCs to the internet without any problems, however I would like to be able to 'network between PCs'. Another poster, Tinto Tech, states that it, " is a proprietary mobile broadband modem and router integrated into one box".

This suggests that I should be able to use the Windows built-in networking to share files between computers. All run XP Pro except my just purchased laptop which is W7 Home Premium 32 bit.

But searching the internet only finds references to networking with Wi-Fi, to enable the sharing of a single PC's internet connection. But I already have this.

I have discovered 'Virtual Router Manager' that runs only with W7 and with that running on the W7 laptop would be acceptable - if it would allow sharing of files between computers, while the Mi-Fi is concurrently providing the internet to all PCs.

As a secondary question, I would also like be able to use my HP printer with this network as it is '802.11g' equipped? At the moment it's cable connected to just one PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You should be able to do both things. This should be helpful telling you how to proceed: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You should be able to do both things. This should be helpful telling you how to proceed: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/
    Thanks for that link.

It uses a 'Linksys home wireless router', but the comment by Tinto Tech is the only reference I have to the E586 being a wireless router.

I don't want to mess with Windows unless I know it will work with the E586, as removing the changes is generally difficult and sometimes impossible without a full re-install of Windows.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The advice is really irrelevant of the router used. It's a wireless router and that's all that it matters. No changes related to file sharing are irreversible.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The advice is really irrelevant of the router used. It's a wireless router and that's all that it matters. No changes related to file sharing are irreversible.
    Agreed, but an outstanding question is this: does the E586 support one wireless client communication with another wireless client?

Pause...........

After much time consuming internet searching I've discovered a term, 'AP isolation'.

Apparently this stops clients communicating with each other, as required for security on a typical public hot-spot.

I've attached a screen dump of the advanced settings for the WLAN on my E586 and it shows that 'AP Isolation' is on.

So I will attempt to turn this off (after making this posting!) and see if it works.

On a similar point, I've just read that someone with an earlier Huawei product, who upgraded to a E586, was complaining that wireless access to the internal SD card, no longer worked requiring a USB connection. Maybe the older Mi-Fi did not have AP Isolation ability.

I'll have to install an SD card and try to access it via wireless and if that works, it will provide the file sharing I would like.

Thanks again for you comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yeah, I suppose that is a factor. Nonetheless, you won't mess up Windows by enabling file sharing.

Let us know how it goes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what I've been looking for -thank you!

"AP Isolation" ..... say it loud and there's music playing - say it soft and it's almost like praying......