3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 8 upgrade with 3-user license

I have been looking everywhere without success, but I am looking for a copy ON CD of Windows 8 Upgrade with a 3-user license. Following are the three machines I intend to upgrade, if I can find what I want:

2 Dell desktops currently on 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1
    1 Dell laptop currently on 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1

First of all, I see no reason to change from Home Premium, but I have yet to find even so much as a mention that there is such a thing with Windows 8. Am I missing something somewhere, or is there only one "Windows 8" replacing all of the subcategories of Win7? Likewise, I have not found a single mention of any Windows 8 Upgrade that comes with a 3-user license as my current Windows 7 Home Premium Upgraqde did, if in fact there is such a thing.

I've never been one to rush out and get any software as soon as a new version comes out, ESPECIALLY WITH MICROSOFT PRODUCTS, but given the $40 cost for a single upgrade I am considering buying it even if I put it on a shelf somewhere and continue to monitor the usual Microsoft kinks for a few months. Can someone either give me some guidance here, or else point me in the direction of such information online please? In the meantime, I will go back and look some more (as I wait for Hurricane Sandy to arrive <sigh>) but I've thus far found very little to answer my specific questions above. I thank you for any direction you can give me.

David E. Cann

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    During this lower priced Upgrade download period, I suspect there will be no 3 license deal offered. At $40 each the 3 copies would be $120, which is less than the 3 license deals offered in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-10-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You know, after posting my query that thougt occurred to me. If I recall, I only paid somewhere around $125 to $150 for my Win7 upgrade, so I would still be coming out ahead if I got 3 individual copies. What about the "Home Premium" upgrade though, or is there going to be such a thing in Win8? The only things I can find any information on is "Windows 8" and "Windows 8 Pro" but what is the difference? I am just a retired home user with a pretty standard home LAN, not at all a business in any sense of the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    During this lower priced Upgrade download period, I suspect there will be no 3 license deal offered. At $40 each the 3 copies would be $120, which is less than the 3 license deals offered in Win 7.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    There will be 2 Windows versions, only (plus Enterprise) and Windows Pro is the higher version of them. The $40 price is for Pro, so there is no reason for you not to upgrade to that version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I thank you. I think you and Medico have convinced me. I still want to follow this a bit just because of my hesitation about ANY new MS product, but unless something changes my mind I will get probably 3 copies before the cost goes up from the current $40 then try to talk myself into upgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    There will be 2 Windows versions, only (plus Enterprise) and Windows Pro is the higher version of them. The $40 price is for Pro, so there is no reason for you not to upgrade to that version.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I have been using 8 since they went RTM. If anything, my experience has been overall very positive. Metro can get a bit annoying at times, but even Metro has some advantages. With the general availability of Windows 8, on the 26th October, several awesome Metro apps have been published (in my language) and it is becoming obvious that Metro can be quite interesting and a reason to upgrade. There will be thousands of new apps and some of them will be great. Windows 7 won't improve over what you have now. All the new exciting things will happen with Windows 8.

Thanks
    I have been using Win 8 full time since Win 8 RP was released. Initially the Win 8 UI is difficult to understand. You can unpin anything you do not like directly from the screen by right clicking a tile and choosing Unpin at the bottom. Make sure you place the Desktop tile to the upper left position. This will allow you to simple press Enter to go to the Desktop while on the Win 8 Screen. There are already many new apps available from the App Store. There were 15 app updates after the initial Win 8 Pro install.

Play with Win 8 for a while and see all the different things you can do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, I might just do that. At this point, I will likely get the three copies in order to get them for the current price, but I want to follow progress a bit before taking the plunge and upgrade. I've had too much experience with Windows ** problems to do otherwise. Thank you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I have been using Win 8 full time since Win 8 RP was released. Initially the Win 8 UI is difficult to understand. You can unpin anything you do not like directly from the screen by right clicking a tile and choosing Unpin at the bottom. Make sure you place the Desktop tile to the upper left position. This will allow you to simple press Enter to go to the Desktop while on the Win 8 Screen. There are already many new apps available from the App Store. There were 15 app updates after the initial Win 8 Pro install.

Play with Win 8 for a while and see all the different things you can do.

David E. Cann

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I might just do that. At this point, I will likely get the three copies in order to get them for the current price, but I want to follow progress a bit before taking the plunge and upgrade. I've had too much experience with Windows ** problems to do otherwise. Thank you again.
    One possible impetus for not taking too long is that for the moment you can obtain Media Center for Win8 Pro free of charge (I don't know what it will cost to add it later) - but you have to install it AND activate it before February 1st to get this bargain (and you can get only one per email address, so if you want three you'll need to enlist the aid of a couple of friends).

Thanks
    Once the promo ends, the only way to get Media Center would be to buy the Pro Pack. Newegg currently has it for $69.99 (normal price $99.99), it's my guess that it's not a hot seller at this time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416563

Also, Windows 8 Pro 64 bit w/o Media Center costs $139.99. So far, there's only one reviewer of the product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416552

That's already a total of $210, one can upgrade 5 computers for this cost (slightly more w/taxes), & they install just as full versions does. The really cool thing is, if this upgrade is done through either a Win 8 CP or RP install, one doesn't have to give up anything, whatever version of Windows that you're running, you can keep. But the key is to run the Upgrade Assistant directly from 8 RP (or CP). At the end, you'll be given the option to create an ISO to make a DVD or bootable Flash drive with.

I selected DVD, it made the ISO, then I sent a copy of that to a Data partition for safekeeping & another to a spare Flash drive. Then used the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool to make a bootable Flash drive with. Not all computers can boot from a Flash drive, but most recent models can. Here is where this tool can be grabbed from for free. Scroll down the page, the link for download is in orange, install that to the OS to create the Flash media with. It's a simple, 4 step process.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

The end result: The very same as the Newegg links above, after the free Media Center key is claimed, my cost was $42.69.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Thanks
    You can always download VLC for Media playing including DVDs if you miss the Media Center offer. I prefer it myself since media center can require the need to downlaod extra codecs to play some files. I haven't run into anything the VLC can't handle.

Jerry