New Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 8 Question on Files D/l from IE10

When I download a file/program on IE10. It asks me to open or save. I choose save. It saves ok, but when I try to run it in IE or from Desktop a dialog pops up asking what to open it with (they are EXE files). I have to rename it to something else, even a 1 letter change. I then try again to run it and it runs perfectly. Every .exe file I d/l I have to rename it. I have a feeling this a protection mode that prevents run an .exe without renaming it. Am I right, or crazy (possible) <g> Is this Something new in WIN 8 IE10, is there some setting I don't know about. Otherwise it's running great with no problems. I learned that alt-f4 will restart win 8. I hope this clear enough.

Thanks
    Do you simply choose Save or do you choose Save As? Save As is where you can set up where to save and what to call the file.

The UAC also is somewhat more aggressive in Win 8. I actually changed my UAC settings. I did not turn it off all together, but I dragged the slider down to the first setting. ( Control Panel, User Accounts, Change User Account Control settings)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use save as, but I didn't change anything. So next D/l I will change the name completely and see what happens. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think this is due to web content zone information being saved with the file, which is not new with Win8/IE10. You could either unblock the file (by right-click, Properties, Unblock), or if you regularly download executable files from a particular site then you could add that site to Trusted sites at Internet Options, Security.

If you hate this feature, you can disable it with Local Group Policy Editor, but it's there for your protection: Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Microsoft Windows

Bruce

Thanks
    See if this Microsoft fix helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2688326?wa=wsignin1.0

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a slightly different issue with file downloads and IE10; why does it rename stuff to .zip? For example .gpx files, especially as they are not compressed in any form? Next how do I stop this annoying behavior? My current workaround is to use Mozilla when downloading affected file types, but this is not really a nice solution.

Rob

Thanks
    Many files for download have odd names, and if jumbled together into one big folder, tend to get lost over time (What was the name of that utility???"). I use a dedicated partition for downloads, use "Save as", navigate to my downloads partition, then create a new folder with a recognizable name, and download the executable or zip file into that folder.

If the download is a zip file, I extract it to that same new folder. I've been doing this for many years - the partition is 127GB, with 39GB free. Additionally, I use this partition (named "Files") as my installation source. For example, Office 2010 installation files are in a folder named "Office 2010", and I installed Office from that location. I don't install from CD or DVD - I copy the contents to an appropriately named folder in the Files partition and install from there. My installation media stays scratch free and stored safely away.

When I upgraded to Windows 8 using a clean install (from the Windows 8 folder in the Files partition), it was a fairly simple matter to install all my programs - no swapping discs, no slow reads, no hesitation while files were unpacked from the media. "Files" is a shared partition, so I can get to it from any of my machines. Very handy.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's not the issue.

The issue is the file is still a GPX not compressed IE10 just renames it without asking from (for example) Ambergate1.gpx to Ambergate1.zip. Why? This is not a matter of files getting mixed up, this is a new Laptop with a factory install. I know I can rename it back but why should I have to?

Rob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_b2805 View Post
    The issue is the file is still a GPX not compressed IE10 just renames it without asking from (for example) Ambergate1.gpx to Ambergate1.zip. Why? This is not a matter of files getting mixed up, this is a new Laptop with a factory install. I know I can rename it back but why should I have to?

Rob
    I don't think IE10 is doing any renaming. The site you're downloading from may list it as .gpx but then make it available for download as a zip file.

GPX files are frequently zipped because it reduces their size dramatically. I just downloaded a gpx.zip which was 4MB, but 26MB when extracted.

Some sites which allow uploading of gpx files automatically convert them to zip files for storage and downloading, e.g. Geocaching.com: Saved GPX Files cannot be downloaded

If you want to make sure, give us an example of a page with a gpx download which is downloaded as a zip file. (I don't know why Firefox should be different though.)

Bruce