New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking Disappearing desktop shortcuts

Recently, after working fine for several years, some shortcuts to specific folders on other networked computers suddenly disappear after a reboot. The drives are not mapped and the shortcuts are to a few convenient folders on other machines in the network. I can get them back each time by making new ones from the network in Explorer but it's an aggravation. It's just started a few weeks ago & I have no clue. It may have been caused by one of the multitude of recent Windows updates since I don't recall any new programs installed recently. Waterfox and one or two others have had update versions in the last couple weeks but the problem started before these. I know my way around the computer fairly well but I have no idea where to even start looking for something like this. Windows 7 x64 Pro on all 3 comps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing desktop shortcuts

Had a similar Win 7 issue last month. All desktop icons and Start Menu icons had broken links. The pix was wrong. The link properties were right but would not properly execute. This included all system and all user icons. Creating a new icon link for the same AP went through the steps OK but was immediately broken. Did a system restore to about 2 months back. Same problem. User had Admin rights so I created a new accout with Admin rights. Logged out and back as new Admin user and desktop icons work OK and new ones created work OK.
    Nothing on searching the Internet covered this issue. Since I'd pinned it down to the user account, I took the path of least resistance. Logged in as the new user Admin and I created 2 new accounts, 1 Standard User and 1 Admin. I informed him to use the Standard User for day to day activity and ONLY use the Admin when required. I mass copied all the user documents and picture folders etc from the old broken user account to the new Standard User account and deleted all docs and the broken user account. Problem solved. I have no idea what caused it. I do remember back in XP when all the desktop icons would lose the link to the pix file. Was pretty common early on and there were 3rd party fixes that provided 1-click fix. So, I suspect this proplem was somehow a screwed up data base manager linked with the user account. Hope this helps.
    Mike