Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paging file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paging file.

I have read a lot of conflicting advice about the size and placement of the paging file. I now have two system managed 15.9 GB page files on my computer because of my indesicion about the advice in the past. One on my C drive and another on a partition on a seperate disk. Should I delete one of them and if so which one? I have decided that the system managed page file on on Windows 7 is probably best after reading about it on this forum. TIA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob,

How much physical RAM do you have???

Zig

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    16 GB's

Thanks
    In which case see what happens if you disable paging altogether! (You can always put it back if you encounter problems or slowdowns.)

Otherwise, having the page file on a separate physical disk would be better.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    With 16 Gb of Ram, your PC probably will not use the paging file that often. The way Win 7 and now Win 8 utilize memory, most agree it does not make as much of a difference which HD you place it. Just let Windows control the paging file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    My desktop has 16GB RAM, and I have been running with the paging disabled and the pagefil.sys deleted from the hard drive for almost a year now, with no noticable effects whatsoever.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine a few years ago told me he had deleted the page file and the unfilled space on his C drive completely filled up. That has put me of contemplating such a move but I am now more happy about deleting the one on my C drive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
    A friend of mine a few years ago told me he had deleted the page file and the unfilled space on his C drive completely filled up.
    Any freed-up space on a disk previously used by a file could be reused by other files, but the fact that the deleted file was previously a page file is entirely irrelevant!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I booted into safemode and tried to delete the paging file on my C drive to no avail. File in use. Took ownership again to no avail. I am the sole administrator. Any ideas? TIA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you doing it from System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual memory? Once no paging file is selected be sure to click the Set button before exiting and rebooting; this is one of the few cases where just clicking the OK button is not equivalent to Apply.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks I have now managed to delete the paging file on my C drive but I have decided to keep the other page file on another partition. Again I done a Google search for page file advice and as usual there is conflicting advice for one page file or none at all. The last site I read stated that there wasn't any gain between one or none except for dump logs. The one advantage is that when I use Macrium on my C drive to back up there is less to copy. Thanks for the replies.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A Macrium "Intelligent Copy" doesn't back-up the page file:
    "Intelligent Sector Copy

Select this option to only copy sectors used by the file system. This greatly
    speeds up the backup and reduces the image size. In addition, special Windows
    system files are not copied during the backup process, there are 'pagefile.sys'
    and 'hiberfile.sys'. Both of these files are not necessary to restore the
    partition and can take up a considerable amount of space.
    "

Dick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I am due a back up and will look for it,

Thanks
    Windows will still create a dump file, even with no paging file. It will be in the Windows folder.

A lot of the "advice" on virtual memory and page file use and placement come from folks who "know more than you do" about Windows. I prefer to go by practical experience. I make drive images before I do anything rash, so I can rescue myself if need be.

As I said in my previous post, almost a year without a paging file on my system with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I recently disabled paging on my laptop, and deleted the pagefil.sys there; so far, so good. The laptop has 8GB RAM. I have drive images to fall back on, should the need arise.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren, do you experience any performance gain with no page file? I didn't notice any when I tried it so I just went back to letting Windows manage it.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast