New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Re-activation!

There are either a bunch of numbskulls or a rogue Server in Redmond.

Several years ago I bought the Three pack of Windows 7 and installed one 64bit in my Dell 560 desktop, another 64 bit in our Computer Club laptop and the third as a 32bit in my Lenovo Vostro laptop.

Last week M$ informed me that I was using an illegal Win 7 in my desktop and provided a way to re-activate it online. Today M$ informed me that I am using an illegal Win 7 in my laptop!

Belarq Advisor informs me that my laptop contains as the OS, a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1, build 7601 and quotes the key: JH7JD-PKTQ7-2V28C-FHR78-KWD2P which is the key number on my Win 7 carton!!

But there is no link on the warning message to a way to activate it online. It just suggests I buy and install a new copy.

So I have proceeded to try to re-install from the disc as an upgrade so as not to lose my files. But the software tells me my new installation is older than what's installed and won't let me proceed!!!

I think they're just trying to force me to buy Windows 8. !!!!

I guess I'll have to install it from scratch and lose my files. Yes, I do have them backed up. I am smarter than a Redmond Server!!!!!

Wish me luck.

Jim Dillman

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can download a disc with SP1 and use it to do a repair install: http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

Thanks
    Jim, Welcome to the Lounge.

It might be easier to call MS and explain things to them. They have generally been very helpful to me in the past.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You probably won't even have to talk to anyone, the automated phone script handle most issues with a legal product id.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929?wa=wsignin1.0

Use method 2 on that page.

Jerry