Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Windows 8 touchpad issues

I upgraded my old Toshiba L45-S7423 laptop from Windows XP to Windows 8 Pro recently via CD/DVD. A couple of days later, the touchpad stopped working. although a USB mouse works just fine. The touchpad issue might be related to a Windows update that occurred about the same time as the issue appeared.

The laptop has been running Windows XP for several years without issues other than slow boot and shutdown.

Of course, I know very little about Windows 8. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would check with Toshiba and see about drivers or S/W for the touchpad. I had to do that with my Sony laptop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    See here for Toshiba's Windows 8 upgrade information page:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...lite+L45-S7419

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interestingly, although the stand-alone Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade compatibility checker found no issues with the laptop, Toshiba does not claim that the L45-S7423 is compatible.

So, now I have to investigate if Windows 7 will run on this laptop and/or see so how well Linux runs. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonE View Post
    Interestingly, although the stand-alone Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade compatibility checker found no issues with the laptop, Toshiba does not claim that the L45-S7423 is compatible.

So, now I have to investigate if Windows 7 will run on this laptop and/or see so how well Linux runs. Thanks for your reply.
    I would look for a Vista or Windows 7 driver at the Toshiba site and give that a try if you find one.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I actually used the Win 7 driver for my Alps Touchpad. Works fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. I will investigate Toshiba's Windows 7 touchpad drivers and see what happens.

Since I know almost nothing about Windows 8, can someone push me in the right direction concerning how to install a new driver?

Thanks
    Quite often when you find the driver it is as an .exe file. Just download it and click the .exe file. Others that do not have .exe files should have posted instructions.

Quite often, after you download the file, you can use Device Manager. Find the device in question, Right Click, Properties, Update driver. Point to the file you downloaded.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RonE, does the Device Manager show your touchpad under Mice and other pointing devices?

If it does, open the properties for the touchpad and see what it says under "Device status". You can also try clicking on the Driver tab and clicking on "Update Driver". This rarely works and you will usually get either the "The best driver software for your device is already installed" message, or a message that says it can't find a driver for your device. Still it is easy to do, and because of that, worth trying.

If the Device Manager does not show your touchpad, you will have to get a .exe device driver installer from Toshiba before you can proceed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The device manager now lists only a "HID-compliant mouse" and a "PS/2 Compatible Mouse" under "Mice and other pointing devices". There is no touchpad driver. Since this laptop is not officially supported for Windows 8 by Toshiba, I will try to find and install a Windows 7 executable touchpad driver and see what happens.

Thanks
    I had to use the Win 7 Alps Touchpad S/W from Sony for my laptop. Works very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no touchpad driver.
    In device manager see if there is a listing of a Synaptics device/driver.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rich:

There is not an entry for Synaptics or a touchpad of any type in the list of devices.

In addition, the newest drivers that Toshiba has for this laptop are for Windows Vista. Where else should I look for a valid driver?

RonE

Thanks
    Rich:

There is not an entry for Synaptics or a touchpad of any type in the list of devices.

In addition, the newest drivers that Toshiba has for this laptop are for Windows Vista. Where else should I look for a valid driver?

RonE
    I would try the Vista driver (if you haven't already).
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ron.
    Find your way into C:\ -> Windows.old -> TOSAPINS. Open this up and look for the driver there. Toshiba has all the machine pertinent drivers saved to that folder. I hope that you still have this folder. I also have a Toshiba and found joy in that path. When you have it installed, go to Control Panel -> Mouse and you will see a tab pertaining to your Touch Pad. Have fun. JP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast