Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First Win 8 Pro BSOD!

Hi Y'all,

I just received my first ever Windows 8 BSOD!
    It displayed of all things a modified Smiley face and the message that Win 8 ran into a problem and would restart for me after it collected some information.
    Sure enough it did restart and after I logged in it gave me the option of to send or not send the information to MS.

BTW: I had just load a new Start Button Replacement program so I don't yet know if that was the culprit or not.
    Also, I ran into a problem sending email from Outlook 2003 then I remembered that I had not applied the service packs after applying SP-1 through SP-3 for Office 2003 Pro everything is OK!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, do not feel alone. I lived a traumatic experience yesterday. I wanted to run CCCleaner and when it asked for payment, I quit. I then desired to Restore to previous to this D/L of CCC, I went to the proper dialogue and selected one day before the D/L. It hung up for 20 minutes and I lost my cool and shut off the machine. On reboot, it said that it was doing an Automatic Repair then after maybe 5 minutes, it said that it could not repair the OS to insert my DVD-W-8 medium. I do not have one !

I was about to clone it back when it restarted on its own and ran good. I have no idea what went on, of course. First, why the restore did not restore ?

It has been running fine since then, should I test Restore ? I will wait a little bit longer, thanks. RG, do I get any sympathy from you ? JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    @RG,

Did you record any of the BSOD details?

Joe

Thanks
    JP,

Of course you do!

The original CCleaner problem may be do to wizzing past the install screens too fast or downloading a trial version instead of the free version...you can't be too careful.

How did you get your Win 8 Pro? If you downloaded it should have given you the option to create an ISO file which can then be burned to a DVD. You should always do this just for the type of situation you found yourself in. I don't know if there is a way to do this after the fact and a quick google didn't turn up anything for me. Maybe someone here with MS connections can help with a link to the ISO since you have your key already.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, you might also want to check the Event Viewer and Windows Reliability History (Win key + W, type reliability)

Jerry

Thanks
    Joe,

It went by so fast I didn't really have a chance and I didn't get the usual STOP codes just some "idiot friendly text" as indicated in the OP.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Have you tried the free Classic Shell add-on. They just released another update. See my thread here.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-29 at 16:26.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good afternoon, RG.

Of course you do! ( Sympathy - Thanks. )

The original CCleaner problem may be due to trial version instead of the free version...you can't be too careful.

Oh ! A free version. I shall go back and try to get it.

How did you get your Win 8 Pro? If you downloaded it should have given you the option to create an ISO file.

No such option, I D/L'd it and it ran, all by itself. Mind you, I need not this .iso, as soon as I got W-8 going, I made a clone, as you say, one can not be too careful. I also copied over to a USB key, the pertinent file, the .exe. I think that I am covered. JP.

Thanks
    Just in case you need the Windows 8 Pro install disk in the future, there's a link in the confirmation email from your Windows 8 purchase to obtain one. Also a link for the setup app for the Windows 8 upgrade again, though this one won't give the option to create media.

I went ahead & ordered my extra disk "just in case", with shipping & taxes, it was close to $18. It's better to have it & not need it than not to have it & desperately need it.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Thanks
    I just burned my downloaded ISO file to a DVD. The installation DVD also has access to the Repair Console. Many who are using the first 2 installation options do not realize that not having a DVD may cause future problems.

Paul Thurrott explains how to make a Win 8 Recovery Disk as well.

Edit: There is also a link near the top of the email you received from MS with your receipt. Check it out.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-01 at 15:44.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I did that too, the one that I ordered is going to be stored in my safe deposit box. At the price that I gave for the OS, that was still less than going to the store & buying the boxed version, I have a total of around $60 in it after ordering the DVD. The extra $18 didn't break me.

Still, by far, the lowest cost Windows OS that I've ever bought.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it's not connected, but Microsoft SWORE that it will institute blocks to any and every attempt to restore the START orb and Win 7 gui. They insist that you downgrade your productivity when you install 8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    RG, you might also want to check the Event Viewer and Windows Reliability History (Win key + W, type reliability)

Jerry
    Jerry,

Sorry, I missed your post eariler. Here's the info:
    bugcheck.PNG

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another alternative - go back to Win 7! :-)

Thanks
    I suspect RG has no intention of going back to Win 7. There are several add-on apps (Classic Shell and Start8 are the most oft mentioned apps) that do restore the familiar Start Orb, sort of. They are actually apps that simulate the Win 7 Start Orb. Quite honestly Classic Shell gives more customization options than the Win 7 Start Orb and is my favorite of the 2.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast