Thanks

New Classic Shell 3.6.2

Classic Shell has released a new version 3.6.2. This includes the Win 8 apps on the Start Menu.

Classic Shell 3.6.2.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

catilley1092 (2012-10-29)

Thanks
    Thanks Ted! It's been awhile since Classic Shell has been updated.

I've tried other apps of this sort, Classic Shell beats the others by far. I just may install this on 7 as well.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Too bad you can't run Win 8 Apps in a window on the desktop eh? At least I don't think there's any way of doing that.

Thanks
    Not that I'm aware of. This just gives another avenue to go to the apps you have installed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm kind of trying to stay clear of them myself because they take over the screen and instead of sending it to the background and continuing on with other stuff I have to switch back to the desktop and then get back to what I was doing. The apps seem to be lacking some fit and finish too. At least the video one only seemed compatible with DNLA so it found those NAS servers fine but the good old regular network address to anything had to be entered manually, and DNLA is not so great when you have a few hundred shows on one NAS and it just starts listing them all individually with no folder structure and tons with just a black screen as a thumbnail and tons of just one thumbnail representing each show in a series. I see I can watch Deadwood, or Deadwood, or Deadwood, or Deadwood....or Deadwood!

I can go back to the desktop, find and copy the network address and go back to the video app and paste the location in there and it works, but, "away thou poor performing app and trouble me no more!"

Thanks
    With the switcher you do not have to do this. When in a Win 8 style app if you put your cursor on a conventional PC or your finger on a touch screen to the upper left corner the switcher will open. Start dragging downward and all running apps and the desktop will be shown. Select the one you want.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, switcher? I was calling it the Apps bar, I see it works from the top too, I was using from the bottom but in desktop mode it doesn't work from the bottom so I was using charms bar. Still seems a bit clumsy with the mouse (both bars) but it probably has to be that way to be equally compatible with finger touch. I'm too used to the tight packed, information filled, access it anywhere, auto-hidden taskbar I guess.

It doesn't make the app work any more effectively but it does make access from the desktop better. Is there any way to close an W8 app while its full screen or does one always have to go to the desktop or another app and then close it from the switcher/Apps bar?

Thanks
    To close a win 8 app, you have to move your mouse to the top middle of the screen where the pointer will change to a hand. Hold the left mouse button down and drag toward the bottom of the screen until the app disappears. Intuitive, huh.

Jerry

Thanks
    From the desktop you can close a Win 8 app on the Switcher bar by simply right clicking it and choosing Close.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I see, ya know why I didn't find that? Because I'm using/testing remotely so, you probably already know that the RDP bar sits right there, I slid that over to one side so I could access the top center. I see one can do it off center as well and I saw the hand a time or two but just moved it to the side. I'm using a big screen, that's a long way to go to close the bugger, I know MS doesn't want the minimize and full screen buttons there but would it be a detriment if a faint X was still there or available by context menu like it is in the Apps switcher bar?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Classic Shell for years, originally because I preferred to get all of my programs on 1 screen and hated to scroll for them in Vista/7. Now in Win8 it is no longer a convenience but a necessity. I expect this and Start8 to become staples on most Win8 computers. I'll stick with Classic shell over Start8, simply because Classic Shell is free and does all I want ans see no reason to pay $5 for a program taht does the same for free. If I hear Start8 is better I guess the price of a latte would be worth it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    on second thought, I clicked on the download link on the Start8 page and was directed to CNET. The last time I downloaded something from CrapNET, I got some stubborn spyware, even though I opted out from all their additional toolbars and options.

Thanks
    Plus quite honestly, I like Classic Shell better. It has more customizable options and the latest version has added immediate access to Win 8 Apps as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I agree with Ted about Classic Shell but I haven't experienced any spyware/crapware issues with Cnet downloads. Maybe it was a part of the specific program you downloaded.

Jerry