Thanks

Some observations about installation

I first installed Windows 8 on my desktop PC directly from the download, successfully, but it didn't take long to find that I didn't really care for it there. I restored my drive image for Windows 7 Home Premium, and tried to install Windows 8 on my laptop.

I booted the DVD that I had burned, and the process started. While it was loading files and creating the RAM drive, I got no indication of what was going on - no progress bar at the bottom of the screen, no text cues or anything. Once the installation started, it was the Windows 8 installation screen. However, after about three minutes of checking Apps and Devices, a screen popped up saying that installation was being cancelled because "install.wim" was missing. A bad DVD burn.

I burned a new DVD using a different burning app, and then copied the files to my hard drive (the DVD installation is quite slow) and started again. I got as far as entering the Product Key, and got the message that the key was invalid. I went to support.microsoft.com and selected Windows 8, Installing and Activation.

I got into a chat with Juan V. and explained the situation. He asked for the key, checked it and said that it was indeed valid. He asked to take control of my laptop, suspecting some corrupted installation files. I told him that I had been installing from the hard drive, and showed him the folder. He went to the TEMP folder, and deleted all the files there, then %temp%, and deleted all the files there.

He then launched Setup.exe from my Windows 8 folder, and the installation was successful. I ran into another "not a valid Product Key" when I tried to activate, and called Microsoft. It was an automated call. I read off several blocks of numbers, answered the question, "How many computers is this copy of Windows installed on?" with "One", since it is no longer installed on my desktop. I was then read back several numbers that I had to type into several blocks (which was live - I typed in the wrong number a couple of times, and immediately got an error message on screen, "This is not the number you were given"). But it also allowed for correction, so I got all the numbers in the right boxes, and Windows activated. I had to confirm over the phone that I had not received an error code, and was told "Congratulations! Windows is now activated", which I had already been told on screen.

So my second burn was evidently good, but the leftover files from the failed installation was preventing a clean install.

I would advise anyone who has burned the DVD, but not used it, to give it a trial run while you're still in the 90 days of free support from Microsoft to make sure you have a good burn. My first was burned and verified by Roxio Creator Starter (which I don't care for much), but it had a missing/corrupt file, and was useless for installation. It may have been OK for repair work, but I trashed it after I made the second burn, which was indeed good.

After installation, I installed Office 2010, and after that I ran Windows Update, and had a combined 30 updates waiting for me. They all installed successfully. I've been given two days to restart my computer to complete the installation of updates, or Windows will restart it for me at the end of two days, whether anyone is logged on or not, and if anyone is logged on, they will lose any unsaved information. Interesting. I think I will go ahead and restart now.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-30 at 13:11. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I used the Win 7 default burner to burn the ISO file to DVD. This worked very well. The Windows System verified the download prior to burning and based on my successful installations, the burn was complete. (I used the same DVD for both installations on our 2 laptops). I lost faith in Roxio quite some time ago.

The activation system must have noticed your first attempt on the desktop and assumed it completed successfully. That's why the call for activation. Obviously this is for others benefit, not yours. I know you have already guessed that.

I also looked for the Sha-1 Hash and could not find it anywhere, so I just assumed the system checking my download was correct.

I believe my Office 2010 updates totaled about 500 Mb. I also has 30 updates. I purchased that copy of Office 2010 last December.

For those of you not as knowledgeable, be sure you make a complete Image of the OS after you complete everything.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Also, check the maximum burn rate of your DVDS. I have created a few coasters by burning at a higher rate than the dvd blanks support. Most dvd burning programs default to the maximum drive burning rate.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With Windows 7 there a lot with people had problems if they burned the disk faster than 4X.
    Joe

Thanks
    That does seem to be the consensus with Win 8 as well. A slow burn is a better burn.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Depends on the drive and media. I find 16X works fine in my setup. As long as your burning app does a verify after the burn and it passes you should be OK.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An excellent ISO burner is BurnCDCC which has never let me down.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/dow...e-software.htm

Thanks
    I used Magic ISO to load the file, and Magic DVD burner to burn. That one worked fine. Windows' burner usually serves me well, but it didn't this time. I also have the burner from Terabyte, and have used it from time to time with good success.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-30 at 20:50.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The Windows 8 Pro installation defaults to Home Group networking. I don't use Home Group, I use Home Network with 128-bit encryption. When this laptop was running Windows 7 Ultimate and a member of the home network, I could access every shared folder on every machine without difficulties.

When I discovered that Windows 8 Pro was using Home Group, I changed it to my home network with all the pertinent credentials (***not quite; see post #11***). Now I can't access any shared folder on any machine, one of which is running Windows 7 Ultimate; they're all running Windows 7. I've been fiddling with it a bit, but so far, no success. I can't even get a logon screen, just an "Access denied" popup.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-31 at 16:00.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up. I've installed Enterprise in a Virtualbox VM at work, and as I type this, I'm installing 64bit Enterprise on an HP Probook 5710. Interestingly I do see a progress bar at the bottom. I'm hard pressed to think that this is an Enterprise version feature, all versions are baked into the same install package. I've done nothing with Windows 8 at home yet. The advantage I have at work is an actual MS DVD with Windows 8 Enterprise.

bbearren, are the workgroup names the same across all your machines?
    Chuck

Thanks

Doh!

I was still in my Admin account, and I had originally logged into that account with a Hotmail password when I created the account in Windows 8. I finally realized what was going on after I had signed on with a local account and my usual password for that account, and I could access everything, same as in Windows 7.

So I went back and changed the password for my Admin account (not the system default Administrator - a created account named Admin) and all is well with the world once more; full access to my network assets.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    On the Update front; I have Office Home and Business 2010, and 35 updates for it so far. There have been 6 updates for Windows, and one of those was a camera codec. I installed the software for the Dell Web Cam in this E5420 yesterday.

The Camera App on the Start Screen seems to like it; after I clicked on the Camera tile, it immediately asked if it could use my Web Cam, and it offers 2.1 Mega Pixel resolution, 16 x 9 aspect ratio at 1080p! It also offers brightness and contrast controls, a choice between 50Hz and 60Hz, as well as video stabilization.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Windows 8 does NOT want to get rid of the paging file on C:. In System Properties > Advanced system settings it shows that it's not there, and File Explorer doesn't show it either, nor does an elevated Command Prompt Dir command. But if one enters Attrib C:\Swapfile.sys -a -s -h, there it is. If one deletes it in the Command window, it will rebuild itself on a reboot.

I've moved it to a separate small partition with a fixed size of 4096MB, and it shows itself there, but hides on drive C: and won't stay away. So I set it to Custom size, 16MB minimum and 16MB maximum, and it behaves. I have 8GB RAM on this laptop, and a swap file will see little, if any use. In case of a crash, Windows will create a dump file in the Windows folder in the absence of a page file, so I'm not worried about that, either.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    On my laptop with 8 Gb of RAM I was able to change the default size of my hiberfil.sys file using this method:

Open an Elevated Command Prompt (Win + X, Command Prompt (Administrator)

Type: PowerCfg.exe /HIBERNATE /SIZE percentage (put what ever percentage in place of percentage. i.e. 50%

So on my system I typed: PowerCfg.exe /HIBERNATE /SIZE 50% (Enter)

type Exit (Enter)

My Hiberfil.sys file is now limited to approx. 4 Gb
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted