Lounger
    Thanks

win 8 defender scheduled scan?

I bought and downloaded the iso file for win 8 pro. Did a clean install on my Asus laptop and all went very well. It sure is different, I'm still trying to find common things that were easy in win 7, but are hidden pretty well in win 8.

Thanks to all who have posted all those help articles, I just keep going back picking up more info.

Windows Defender - is there a way to schedule scans? Can't find anything. I would like to schedule at least a weekly full scan, and I would also like to have daily quick scans.

Fred

Thanks
    You can schedule scans through Task Scheduler. See this article for more details.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Fred, Read my Sticky Thread about Taking the scary out of Win 8 to assist with getting around and help with making things feel a little more familiar until you feel comfortable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    On further investigation, Windows Defender is setup in Task Scheduler by default. Open Task Scheduler, expand Task Scheduler Library, expand Microsoft, and expand Windows. Scroll on down and you'll find Windows Defender. Click on that and you'll see that there are 4 scheduled tasks for Windows Defender, including Scan.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-31 at 20:48. Reason: spelling
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

edreyer76 (2012-11-03),rmonroe36 (2012-11-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, this group is awesome...
    Fred

Thanks
    The Windows Defender Tasks in the Task Scheduler will need to have the triggers set. I never turn my desktop off, so I have all my routine maintenance tasks scheduled for early morning hours.

Set the times to suit your schedule. If your PC is not used during the middle of the day, for example, schedule scans and such during that time period, just leave the PC turned on.

Unleash Windows