Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    qaz

need help with wifi and Atheros

hi

Ive just got a Asus Eee pc netbook with Atheros client utility. have never used wifi , can anyone help me set it up

thanx

Thanks

qaz
    thanks but it seems much to general to be helpful....tells u about positioning ur router etc. i really need some assistance with Atheros client utility.

error msg after running a check says: client adapter not associated to an access point. and. configure radio card ssid and othe properties. i recon it something very simple [when u know how]

any ideas are welcome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Maybe this can help:

http://www.motioncomputing.com/kb/article.aspx?id=10269
    This seems to be a detailed manual: http://www.yatow.de/out/fck_files/CE-papers/ce-ar5bmb5.pdf

You need to know the configuration settings for your wireless network: SSID, type of authentication, encryption used, key used. With that, filling in those settings in the utility should be easy.

qaz
    thanks i will look.

if it helps this was apparently working ok before i get this asus EEEpc.

in most locations there are several strong signals, i assume that the absence of a "key" symbol opposite some networks means i can access it without a password ?.

is this notebook in some way locked to using Atheros or can i use Windows or another program

edit: have tryed to follow the setup intructions but stuck on "What encrytion is used" i bet if i were to ask the staff working in the cafe providing the wifi they wouldnt know

im assuming thar SSID is the number/word supplyed by the person offering wifi access
    Last edited by qaz; 2012-11-03 at 08:54.

Administrator
    Thanks
    How did you get the atheros software? I would presume wireless hardware you have is an Atheros adapter. In Windows 7 you have usually have the option to let windows configure and control the adapter.

qaz
    have xp and arthos came with the eee pc notebook

am wondering if this notebook in some way locked to using Atheros or can i use Windows or another program

qaz
    i dont know about the adaptor , theres nothing attached to the computer

Administrator
    Thanks
    That just means that the adapter is integrated, which makes total sense, as all recent laptops need to suppport wireless networking.

qaz
    can anyone help with the client utility? the machine connects ok as long as there is no encryption [set to set none as opposed to wpa/wpa2 or another one] , But when someone gives me a key/password to use i apparently i don't enter it in the right place, [the sii field id filled in automatically]
    thanx

qaz
    i have an asus eee pc 2g surf net-book running xp . Atheros client utility basically works, the machine connects to a wifi network ok as long as there is no encryption [set to set none as opposed to wpa/wpa2 or another one], But when someone in a wifi enabled building gives me a key/password to use i apparently i don't enter it in the right place, [the ssid1 field is filled in automatically]

Another thing is that although under the security tab i have tried the first 3 encryption types [said to be the most used ones here in uk] i still cant decide which one to use in a given situation and the staff offering the wifi certainly dont know. Is there a way to tell?. If i decide to try wpa/wpa2 [the first one] then i have to also select a wpa/wpa2 type from the drop down menu ......the configurations are too many to try.

the instructions are no help that i can see and am wanting to take this machine on holiday next week, with ability to connect so any assistance will be appreciated

Or can direct me to a relevant forum as i havent found one yet that covered this software

thanx
    Last edited by qaz; 2012-11-06 at 13:27.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You need to know whether they are using WPA or WPA2. For both, the encryption options are AES or TKIP. If you don't know which one is it, then you need to try until you connect. The settings will vary according to the network and you need to choose the ones for the specific network you will be using. I don't think anyone here can tell you much more than this...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    thanks i will look.

if it helps this was apparently working ok before i get this asus EEEpc.

in most locations there are several strong signals, i assume that the absence of a "key" symbol opposite some networks means i can access it without a password ?.

is this notebook in some way locked to using Atheros or can i use Windows or another program

edit: have tryed to follow the setup intructions but stuck on "What encrytion is used" i bet if i were to ask the staff working in the cafe providing the wifi they wouldnt know

im assuming thar SSID is the number/word supplyed by the person offering wifi access
    The absense of the key symbol means that the network in question is not encrypted. It doesn't necessarily mean that no password is required.
    But unless you have permission to log onto a wireless network, you shouldn't try to log onto it.

There's not really any setup required; you simply find the network you want to log onto in the list of available wireless networks; then you connect to it, putting in whatever password is required.

That's all there is to it.

The SSID is the name of the network that you see listed in the list of available wireless networks.

qaz
    thanks last 2 posts

re: "You need to know whether they are using WPA or WPA2." are u saying that these are the only 2 that are used even though there's a longer list? anyway, even if they are after i select WPA or WPA2 i then can select WPA or WPA2eap Type from drop down menu starting with Leap then eap-tls.

i cant find any reference to AES or TKIP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't know the specifics of your adapter and its client. I guess you need to try, because the configuration will vary with each network.

Sometimes using older software and hardware has such issues. Since Windows 7 (probably Vista too), connection to a wireless network is just easier, because the OS just asks you the key and deals with the security choices on its own.

Did you check to see if they have updated versions of the client?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast