3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop takes 30+ minutes to connect to internet each time

Acer Aspire One AO722, Win 7x64. Every time I start up this laptop from home, it connects to my wireless network quickly but takes 30 minutes or more to get internet access (just now about an hour). The Network & Sharing Center screen shows "Unidentified network" and of, course, the red X on the connection to internet access. This started many months ago after a trip where I stayed at a motel with wireless. It's like it has problems switching locations and types of connections. The application used is Broadcom 802.11n and I have the latest (longstanding) version. Uninstall/reinstall had no effect. Of course, I run diagnositics each time, and sometimes disable and reenable the network, but those steps never seem to have any effect. The ultimate message is the lack of a valid IP address, which is set to be obtained automatically, but after awhile it somehow decides there is one. I tried inserting the IP/DNS address from my desktop, but that didn't work either. Google searches really haven't either. I don't use my laptop that much, but when I do this is a constant source of frustration. Any ideas what might be going on and how to fix it? Thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2012-11-06 at 12:21.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try going into Control Panel / Network and Sharing Center / Manage Wireless Networks. Right click on each network listed that you can get rid of, and choose Remove Network.

Hopefully that will fix it.

If not, here's a quick trick that may speed things up: create a new user account, and log in as that user. If whatever is slowing you down is in your current user profile rather than in Windows in general, then the new user profile may not be affected by what is slowing you down. In other words, you may be able to bypass whatever is slowing you down by logging in as a different user.

Thanks
    Fred Langa often has very good tips about finding what is slowing down your PC. Check out his articles at www.windowssecrets.com.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Something specific to this problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The way the page opens from the email (Opera), I missed your substantive suggestion. I had already removed two network connections, so did the last one and ran the CiscoConnect update. It failed twice but seems to have sorted things out in the process. Now, the internet is coming up quickly, immedidately if set to automatic connection and after about a 30-60 secs if done manually. Have to see what happens after the next trip... Thanks for the idea that got it started again.

More general posts like your second one don't sit well with me. Fred has written a lot, including much before he joined Windows Secrets, and one could spend a long time looking. In this case, I think it would be for naught.
    Last edited by highstream; 2012-11-06 at 15:02.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    The way the page opens from the email (Opera), I missed your substantive suggestion. I had already removed two network connections, so did the last one and ran the CiscoConnect update. It failed twice but seems to have sorted things out in the process. Now, the internet is coming up quickly, immedidately if set to automatic connection and after about a 30-60 secs if done manually. Have to see what happens after the next trip... Thanks for the idea that got it started again.

More general posts like your second one don't sit well with me. Fred has written a lot, including much before he joined Windows Secrets, and one could spend a long time looking. In this case, I think it would be for naught.
    I apologize for not being more specific, but I didn't have time to find any specific things written by Fred. But he wrote something a couple of months ago that was specifically about finding what is slowing down your PC.

Here's something he recently wrote:
    https://windowssecrets.com/langalist...freezes-redux/

and this:
    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...ndomly-freeze/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was also puzzled because nothing was slowing down my laptop per se and I haven't experience any freezes.