Lounger
    Thanks

winsx directory in Windows 8?

Does Windows 8 use a winsx directory the way that Windows 7 does?

The reason I ask is because since my most recent install of Windows 7 in January 2011, the winsx directory has grown to 13.8GB. There is also an 'installer' directory which is 6.3GB. The system32 directory is only 3.2GB. My 'users' directory is 22GB, but that looks reasonable considering Adobe Lightroom 4 stores its preview images there. The programs I use (9GB) are loaded on a separate partition. My Windows 7 partition totals 70GB, a large proportion of which comprises files in case something goes wrong.

This has increased my Windows partition image backup saving time from about 10 minutes in January 2011 to 35 minutes now.

So, is Windows 8 going to give me the same problem over time?

Thanks

Geoff

Thanks
    The answer is probably yes.
    There definitely is a "winSxS" folder area in windows 8, and it appears to be somewhat larger than I recall it to be in Windows 7.
    Mine is a whopping 7 GB.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Yes it does. Mine is presently at 7.11 Gb.

I suspect there must be more than the Winsx folder that has changed since 1/11 on your PC. How often do you clean out ALL the temp files, error logs, other logs, temp internet files, etc.?

I use a batch file to help with this clean up chore: Copy the following and paste into Notepad, then save as Cleanup.bat (Or some such .bat file) on your desktop

Code:
     @Echo off
    cls
    cleanmgr /sageset:1000
    del /F /S /Q "%systemroot%\temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "%systemroot%\Prefetch\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /W "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    \*.*"
    ::Rem: No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    del /F /S /Q "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    ::Rem: the following line deletes the Virus Vault for AVG 2012 FREE anti-virus program.
    del /F /S /Q "C:\$AVG\$VAULT\*.*
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    cleanmgr /sagerun:1000
    ::Pause
    This also runs the Windows cleanmgr on steroids. Select to clean everything. You can also use CCleaner to assist with this.

Do you hibernate your PC. If so the hiberfil.sys file will be large as well. It will most likely be the same size as your virtual memory. When I disabled hibernation mine was 3.5 Gb. MS shows how to disable hibernation here.

Edit: I should have mentioned (forgive my oversight) as mentioned by others below, the sageset command in the third line only has to be run the first time. Afterward simply remove this line. Leave the sagerun at the end as it is. Also the :: pause can be removed if you wish to have the box close automatically when finished.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-31 at 19:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Winsxs is there and it's there for a reason. Fred Langa wrote two articles on it, and they obviously still apply:

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/web-filtering-keeps-you-a-little-safer/#story5
    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...winsxs-folder/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ted,

Just a note if you use [code] your code here [/code] tags it makes it easier to copy out the code into a text editor since it provides the Select button.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, Got it. I could not remember the actual tags to use. It has been changed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ted,

I know the feeling I have a bad case of CRS!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I haven't used Windows 8 long enough to see, but in Windows 7 I use cleanmgr.exe in conjunction with sagerun (after setting the parameters with sageset, which only needs to be run once) in the Task Scheduler to run nightly. I've kept an up-to-date copy of CCleaner just for the sake of comparison, and run it in Analyze mode from time to time. Cleanmgr leaves a bit behind, but the files left behind are files that I actually want to keep, anyway. CCleaner always finds about 440MB to 470MB of mostly Temporary Internet Files (which actually serve to speed up page load times) and some log files.

I never clean the registry except manually - I never use a registry cleaner and advise against it, regardless of recommendations or by whom. I've cleaned up the mess registry cleaners leave behind too many times for clients, to ever take them seriously.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-10-31 at 15:19.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cleanmgr.exe is the way to go for cleaning this up. You'll have the option to remove unneeded files relating to Windows Updates with the caveat that you'll not be able to uninstall them later.
    Chuck