2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Non-deterministic notice: "doc has links that may refer to other files"

Hi all,

I've got a Word document -- call it X -- with an embedded Excel chart that draws data via links from an Excel document.

When opening the Word document I am prompted with the following "Links" notification:

"This document contains links that may refer to other files. Do you want to update this document with the data from the linked file. "

So after much searching through the document, I have located the link - it is associated with an Excel pivot bar chart

So I notice three weird things going on:

1. When I look at the chart I cannot see any indication of actual live data - I mean I can't click on the dots in the graph, and the context menu does not show any Excel commands, like 'Edit Data', and not even any object commands like Open/Edit.

2. When I copy this self-same Excel chart into another Word document -- call it Y -- and then close it and re-open it, I do NOT get that notification. So what has happened with the chart?

3. Further when I copy+paste a real live Pivot Chart with live links into another Word document I do NOT get that notification. So what has happened with the THAT chart - or that document?

Bottom line: sometimes I am getting the "Links" notification even for charts that do NOT seem to be linked, and conversely sometimes I am not getting a "Links" notification even for charts that ARE definitely linked.

TIA

-avraham
    Last edited by amakeler; 2012-10-31 at 13:22.