4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 won't install on Asrock motherboard

A friend of mine downloaded the $39.95 version of Windows 8, and tried to install it on his approximately 18 month old computer with an Asrock motherboard with UEFI/BIOS. The installer scanned his computer, and announced that it was incompatible.

My friend called Asrock tech support, and they confirmed that his motherboard is incompatible with Win8, and there is not a fix for the problem yet. There may or may not be UEFI updates that will make it compatible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's really bad, sorry. I use the pre-assessment tool before deciding to buy. It's a safer option.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would be helpful to others if the Asrock motherboard was identified more specifically. One of my friends has an Asrock Fatality 990FX Pro AM3+ with Windows 8 Pro installed and running without issues.

Rich

Thanks
    Does the Asrock MB have an option to boot in non UEFI mode?

Jerry

Thanks
    Yeah, the OP may be forced to wait until an update becomes available for his UEFI.
    It would be helpful to know the exact model of motherboard we're talking about here, and a little more detail as to why it's not compatible.
    I find it hard to believe that Asrock would not provide more detail into this.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. It appears that my UEFI lacks NX. My BIOS/UEFI version:

My mobo is less than 18 months old. It is a Fatal1ty P67 Professional. It is presently running Win7 x64. I called ASROCK and they told me the board is incompatible with Win8. I must hope that they will release new firmware that will work. My 4.5 year old Gigabyte mobo (BIOS, not UEFI) appears to satisfy the Win8 requirements. It is a Q6600 running Win7. I am tempted to put Win8 on it, but I really use that machine mostly as a backup and want to run my primary computer with Win8.

I am guessing that I could download Win8 as a ISO, install it on the old machine, while waiting on the firmware update. Is it likely that MS would then allow me to move Win8 to my newer machine and reinstall Win7 on the old one? Does anyone know how to download the ISO, instead of doing an online install? If I go with an ISO, how do I get Windows Media Center?

Thanks
    There is no place yet listed to just download the file. You must go through the Buy Win 8 Pro process. Go through the normal channels listed here. After the Upgrade advisor runs follow the prompts. Choose Save Nothing, then save ISO file. You can choose where to save the ISO file. You will also be asked if you wish to burn the ISO file to Flash Drive or DVD. Done!

It is a very simple, straight forward process.

It's also hard to comprehend how a newer MoBo with UEFI would not have NX enabled. That is unconscionable. I do not know how they can justify not supporting Win 8 with these newer MoBo. That's as bad as HP not updating their printer drivers for new versions of an OS.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-01 at 12:24.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe this is my first post. Been a member for quite awhile though. After reading this thread, I thought I'd post what worked for me since I have the ASROCK X58 Extreme and was told the same thing by Upgrade Advisor that it wasn't compatible. After doing some searching, I ran across Coreinfo program once run that also showed me the same feature not compatible. What that article failed to mention, is that in the BIOS, try to Enable NX (the option in my BIOS showed "no-execute page protection". Once I enabled that, and reran upgrade advisor, all was okay to proceed and was successfully able to install Windows 8. Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico and ghunter - Thanks to both of you. I will take another look at the EUFI and see if I can find something similar to what ghunter mentioned.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ghunter - I just tried your suggestion and it worked!!! My EUFI has a "no execute memory protection" option. I enabled it and reran the Win8 compatability test. It crashed on the first try, but on the second try the only sacrifice is that Secure Boot will not work. As I understand it, that doesn't matter so far as installation is concerned. So, I will probably try to install Win8 tomorrow.

Thanks
    My PC does not qualify for Secure Boot either and Win 8 Pro installed very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad it worked, Bob. My PC does not qualify for Secure Boot either.