5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why I actually WANT to buy Windows 8

Windows 8

Why I actually WANT to buy Windows 8

By Susan Bradley

Whether you think Microsoft made a fabulous strategic decision or has taken a decidedly wrong turn with it's ubiqutious OS, Windows 8 is now on the street. Here's why I'm actually looking forward to buying a new Windows 8 computer.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/windows-8/why-I-actually-want-to-buy-windows-8/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-10-31 at 13:49.

Thanks
    Unless I were to suddenly take up business travel for a living (as you evidently do), I just cannot see buying overpriced tablets with new OS versions every three years or so (as most people who use tablets have been doing). The amount of use and capabilities I could get do not justify the prices. An ultrabook has similar issues -- it's just not cost-effective. Too bad ultrabooks seem to be edging out Netbooks -- the netbooks often give much better return on the investment, and have a similar form factor for travel.

Still, I look forward to your report on your final choice, and the reasons you will choose what you will eventually go with.

As for buying something expensive -- if your next tablet lasts as long as your current traveling device, you could break even yet. Folks laughed at me when I spent $1,000 on a Windows 7 laptop. Now I get to use the same laptop with Windows 8 Pro (System Builder so that I can dual-boot until I finally decide to go with Windows 8 full-time -- or not). So I've saved at least one hardware upgrade cycle. The same happened with my Windows XP laptop, only I decided to skip Vista. A higher upfront investment can pay off down the road, if all goes well.

Good luck with whatever you choose to buy, Susan.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    If you check the prices for used Ipads, you will find that selling the old one and buying a new one isn't really all that expensive. You can also find refurbed Ipads at a considerable savings at the Apple Store. They come with a brand new battery and a good warranty. That's the route I went. I also find staying one generation behind rather than going with the current model is very cost effective.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some is business but a lot is train travel to see friends in Los Angeles. Because there are times that I need to remote back to the office and handle something, I need to have something that computes and not just consumes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree

Thanks
    I have a high degree of confidence that MS will never abandon the traditional desktop environment, but I can also see
    tremendous potential for the creation of suitable working apps in the "Modern UI Style" for the small device in terms of productivity.
    If anyone has the muscle to make this happen it will be MS, not Apple.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    Some is business but a lot is train travel to see friends in Los Angeles. Because there are times that I need to remote back to the office and handle something, I need to have something that computes and not just consumes.
    I have to agree. This is really the key point in Microsoft's offerings and the reason I wouldn't buy any of Apple's offerings.

Thanks
    I thinks you can find refurbed Ipads at a considerable savings at the Apple Store. They come with a brand new battery and a good warranty!
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-11-05 at 05:41. Reason: Link removed.

Thanks
    Just don't trade in an old iPad at the Apple Store. They rarely give you 20 cents on the dollar.
    -- Bob Primak --