5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add custom tiles to the Win8 start screen

LANGALIST PLUS

Add custom tiles to the Win8 start screen

By Fred Langa

The new Windows 8 Start screen hides common Windows commands such as Shutdown, Lock, and Sleep. But by using a process many Windows users are already familiar with, you can add one-click access to almost any Windows function or application.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/add-custom-tiles-to-the-win8-start-screen/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Post SorryFred

Hi,

Sorry Fred--all the info re W8 has passed me by. I tried the pre-release version and was not impressed, the system appears to be aimed solely at the touchscreen brigade [pass the marmalade].

So, forgive me if I stick to my old fashioned desktops running W7. I think that once the euphoria has worn off, it will become apparent that W8=another Vista.

Regards oldwhatsit

Thanks
    This article takes the Shutdown button and pins it to the Taskbar, which is more handy.

And here's how to add Hibernate to the Shutdown Button (although this may not carry over to the pinned shortcut we just created).
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    We have discussed and showed the method to add Shutdown, Restart and LogOff icons to both the Desktop Taskbar and the Start Screen. I just recently saw the hint for hibernate. Thanks for bringing them back to the forefront.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying Widows 8 on an HP tx20xx laptop and it is working pretty well. However, to use a touch screen exclusively, I would like an OSK on the Start screen. Most of the shortcuts lead to an OSK on the Desktop which doesn't support live search. The only one that seems to work is Charms>Settings but that is a lot of work to get to it and it doesn't stay.

Is there an OSK for the Start screen available from a Start screen icon?

Terry

Thanks
    If I am reading you properly, you can get an On Screen Keyboard on the Desktop. Once you get an On Screen keyboard on the desktop, tap the Windows key and you will be taken to the Start Screen with an On Screen keyboard.

Jerry