5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Interesting and sensible.

Thanks
    More articulate and in-depth than what I said, but along the same lines.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I also believe the doomsayers of the PC are in error. I also believe those saying Win 8 is a bust might be in error as well, judging by the first 4 days of sales, over 4 million upgrades alone. I would think most of these upgrades are on conventional PC's. The PC will be around for a long time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The best line is Windows 8 is a hot mess of user experience; that's perfect. I can easily see the forces of convergence when actually using it but I can equally see the forces of divergence that won't necessarily keep formfactor from converging but otherwise make that a difficult sale as far as one interface fits all. Of course its been said for more than a year now that Windows 7 is the ace in the hole with support extended out for at least 8 years yet. Users aren't going anywhere in terms of significant market share shifts.
    Windows 8 is exactly a hot mess of U.I. and that's interesting, it wouldn't be of much note otherwise, just an upgrade to the latest improvements.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-10-31 at 19:57.

Thanks
    The more I use it, the better I can understand what Microsoft may well have had in mind. The traditional desktop is not difficult to get to at all, and I'm one of those folks who uses lots of shortcuts on the desktop, and don't rely on the Start Orb very much. I have the Start Screen tiles arranged so that the Desktop tile is on the bottom left, and the changeover is almost immediate.

The only real difference on the Desktop other than no Start Orb is the lack of Aero (and there's a trace of that in the taskbar). I'm rebuilding my shortcut icons, and the traditional Windows Programs I've installed on the Start Screen pop me immediately to the desktop whenever I launch one. And I have a Weather tile, a pseudo-gadget. As I've said in a couple of other threads, the Start Screen is very much like the Program Manager in Windows 3.x on the face of it.

With Windows 8 on my laptop, I still have my workhorse Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop PC. I may end up getting another license and dual-boot on the desktop PC, but the Start Screen is a bit much on a 23" LED flatscreen; it would take some getting used to - lots of side-to-side mousing.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I agree with the article's writer, Windows 8 looks to me like a work in progress, albeit somewhat messy, it will create a whole new way
    of looking at the traditional desktop computer and spawn new ideas from many differing sectors of the tech industry.
    ...Provided MS does not attempt to [completely] emulate Apple's bad formula of a closed environment. I think they (MS) needs to be cognizant of that.

Linux has been static for years and years now. If they were going to break through, they missed their chances long ago.
    Mobile tech has single handedly made Apple what it is. If it were not for iPhone and iPad, they would be nothing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, try a 28 and 55" screen! The only thing that seems really annoying to me so far is the full-screen diversion when starting Win8 Apps from the desktop...aproximately 1300 square inches (on a 55") for an app with just a few buttons!

Thanks
    Yeah, I agree, lots of moussing around on my 28 inch monitor.

The start apps too are somewhat weak and feeble [very simple-too simple], they might not be too bad on a portable device,
    but on a potent desktop computer there isn't much use for them. Way too much cloud/internet based service requirements imo.

The few start screen apps I do like is the Newegg shopper, I can always stay logged on, and the map app isn't too bad either.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-10-31 at 23:45.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I think "work in progress" and "getting a foot in the door" are the operative phrases here. I don't really want a great big smart phone on my desk, nor do I want laptop strapped on my belt. Having a common interface between multiple useful devices isn't a bad idea, but the apps that are loaded behind the GUI have to be appropriate for each device. I don't really need GPS on the desktop PC, or a database/spreadsheet on my phone.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven't heard too much said about the CUI, or Common User Interface. Isn't the main reason for the drastic change is to have a CUI with PC's Tablets and Phones, using touch screens? I doubt Windows 7 could have easily been adapted to work with touch, and some PC makers were already moving to touch screen PC's with custom apps.

Thanks
    Definitely a work in progress.
    The concept of integrating all these devices are sound. It's just the fine details that need working out.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: