Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Install Windows 8 on partition

I would like to run Win 8 on a partition with Windows 7 and wondered if this is possible with the upgrade edition or will I have to purchase the full version. Not quite ready to give 7 up yet and would like to run side by side as I know this was possible with previous versions. Any information appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can install it on a partition; you just have to create the new partition before you do the upgrade. I know that it can be done because I did it on a Lenovo T61 laptop that was already a dual-boot machine to Win7 and XP. I now can choose any of the three OSs to boot into.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pjdemmitt For This Useful Post:

eisenhomer (2012-11-01)

Thanks
    Actually to legally use the Upgrade download ISO file, you must have a qualifying OS that you are replacing with Win 8 Pro. Hence the name Win 8 Pro Upgrade.

In post number 2 the legal way to have installed Win 8 Pro Upgrade would have been to replace either Win 7 or Win XP with Win 8 Pro.

Yes you can technically do it, but is it ethically legal? I'm not a lawyer, but I would not wish to argue in court about that one.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Issue Resolved with Upgrading Win 8 on Separate Partition from Win 7

I am posting to alert users to a potential issue withsetting up Windows 8 in a dual boot environment and the answer I found toresolve it. But first, I don’t believe setting up a dual boot machine is aviolation of the Windows license agreement. There are a number of articles fromreputable sources telling how to do this, and when I did it this week to tryout Windows 8, the activation process did not balk. I started with a PC Ibought earlier this year that came with Windows 7 Pro and installed the Windows8 Pro Upgrade (purchased at a local store) on a second partition I created onthe only hard drive by shrinking the Windows 7 partition. I believe this islegal, because I can run only one version of Windows at a time on this singlemachine, either Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    Now for the problem I encountered. One important point aboutmy PC: It uses an EFI boot process and not a UEFI boot process. After creatingthe new partition, I booted the PC from the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade disk andpressed a key when I got the message asking me to press a key if I wanted toboot from the DVD. I went through a few screens, including the one where Ientered the Windows 8 key and verified the activation. But when I got to thescreen where I was to select the partition on which to install Windows 8, I gota message saying "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selecteddisk has an MBR partition table. Windows can only be installed to GPTdisks." The same message appeared no matter which partition I selected.
    I stewed over this for some time, contemplating that upgradingmight be possible only if I reformatted the entire drive to use GPT instead ofMBR, but I wondered why Windows 7 would work fine on this machine but notWindows 8. It took a good bit of searching on the Internet to find thesolution, but I finally found it on a Microsoft forum (see the link below).Here is the direct quote: “Keep in mind that when you boot from Install DVDboot in IDE mode -first line 'Press a key to boot from DVD' is UEFI dont presskey at that time. The second ‘press a key to boot from dvd' is for IDE boot 'pressa key at this line to boot then you should be able to install on MBR partitonor VHD.”
    Sure enough, on my EFI machine, if I ignored the firstrequest to press a key to boot from the DVD and then pressed a key after thesecond prompt, the install of Windows 8 proceeded without a hitch. I must say Iwas also impressed with how quick and painless the install was. I assume if Ihad a UEFI machine, pressing a key after the first prompt would have worked.
    Here is the source where I found the solution to the problem:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-windows_install/cannot-install-w8-release-preview-mbrgpt-problem/8d497252-8b3a-4c11-b8e9-206b3986c475

Thanks
    I would have to go waaaaayyy back in my email to get the quote, because it's a couple of years ago, but I pressed Microsoft through multiple emails and multiple departments on the legality of installing the same license on two different disks on the same PC, since only one OS could be active at any given time.

The answer I got, in a word, was "No." In MS parlance, installed means the files have been extracted from the DVD and the OS files copied to their proper place on the hard drive to enable booting the OS. It doesn't matter whether or not the OS is bootable concurrently; it's whether or not the OS can be booted, period.

That being said, Microsoft does indeed offer instructions to perform a parallel installation of XP for the express purpose of rescuing an installation that cannot be booted due to corruption or malware infestation, etc. That is supposed to be temporary, and to correct a non-booting installation of XP.

And, really $39.99? For Windows? There's never been such a bargain from Microsoft. I'm planning on buying another license here soon, just because it's so cheap. I haven't seen Windows 7 offered for anything less (or even close) since Windows 8 went on sale on the 26th
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-01 at 16:57. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Student version of XP Pro (which turned out to be an enterprise version for those who know the versatility one gets from that) was $25 in the day. I'm still using both of my copies very effectively 10 years later. Adjusted for inflation, probably pretty close to the same bargain. I think I got my money's worth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Student version of XP Pro (which turned out to be an enterprise version for those who know the versatility one gets from that) was $25 in the day. I'm still using both of my copies very effectively 10 years later. Adjusted for inflation, probably pretty close to the same bargain. I think I got my money's worth.

Some student versions were even free, but I was speaking of Retail.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    'bb' is right. We have never had a Windows OS available @ this kind of cost opportunity. Not, even, as a System Builder & VAR w/ access to OEMs was there ever any price points this good, let alone retail comparisions.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    And, really $39.99? For Windows? There's never been such a bargain from Microsoft. I'm planning on buying another license here soon, just because it's so cheap. I haven't seen Windows 7 offered for anything less (or even close) since Windows 8 went on sale on the 26th
    Was there not a similar deal when Windows 7 was initially released?

IIRC it was $49.99 for Home Premium retail version and here in the UK I paid £45 to Amazon which was cheaper than the MS price! Comparing prices of W7 then and now is a little unfair as it was an introductory offer albeit it seemed more limited than the current deal. When this W8 deal ends on 31st January then it may be interesting to compare the prices of W7 & W8.

Currently the price for Windows 8 upgrade in the UK is £24.99 and if the Mayans have got it wrong, there will almost certainly be a purchase of a couple of licences for W8 in the near future.

Thanks
    That is most likely true Browni, but that was for the Home Premium version. This is now the Pro version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Brownie, Ted, makes good point. One must be mindful that Windows 8 Pro is on a par w/ Windows 7 Professional. 7's Upgrade was to HP. This is one, but, not the only reason, that the Win8 Upgrade is of a higher order than any OS Upgrade we have, ever, seen previously. This only heightens the value of the current Upgrade promo.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I don't know how an Upgrade can be activated without an underlying previous license. It certainly would violate the MS upgrade EULA terms. In a dual-boot, this would be as much of an issue as in two separate computers. MS says even in a Virtual Machine you need one license per running OS instance. Nothing whatsoever about simultaneously running. This restriction is exactly why I bought the System Builder Edition for my dual-boot with Windows 7 Home Premium. That and the ability to move the SB install from one computer to another if I later choose to do so.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-11-09 at 08:08.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I will always recommend the SB version is the ideal way to go, no question. It's what I'll be using, ultimately, too.

The only thing I'll say here in support of the fact that cleans can be done w/ Win8 Upgrade or to explain it a bit, maybe, is in both a dual-boot or running a VM, there's an underlying Windows OS prior to installing Win8.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I will always recommend the SB version is the ideal way to go, no question. It's what I'll be using, ultimately, too.

The only thing I'll say here in support of the fact that cleans can be done w/ Win8 Upgrade or to explain it a bit, maybe, is in both a dual-boot or running a VM, there's an underlying Windows OS prior to installing Win8.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Yes, there is. But Microsoft's licensing terms are clear:

From the PDF download of the Windows 8 Pro license EULA directly from Microsoft:

"[You may install this software as] one copy on one computer (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer.

For more information on multiple user scenarios and virtualization, see the Additional Terms.

a. Computer. In this agreement, “computer” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a computer. The software is licensed to run on up to two processors on the licensed computer. "

So there you have it -- directly from the EULA:

A partition is a computer. Only one partition may install one license at a time. Same with each Virtual Machine. There is no simultaneous licensing in either scenario.

"...the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading."

So the upgrade does not have a valid independent license.

"You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way."

So once you use the upgrade license, you may not continue to use the underlying license with the original software (the existing OS installation).

"Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers."
    This applies equally to each new partition and to each new virtual machine you can create.

The licensing terms are not ambiguous on these points. There is absolutely no "wiggle room".

If you'd like, I can PM you with an Attachment of the entire EULA in PDF format. Or you can download it here .

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the position folks in this thread have placed me in.

I still cannot believe that Microsoft will activate an improperly used license, but there may be times when activation will work, even though the EULA clearly states that the activation is in violation of the EULA terms. You may violate these terms at your own risk. That's up to you.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-11-09 at 14:34.
    -- Bob Primak --

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Tinto Tech (2012-11-09)

Thanks
    Unfortunately the Upgrade media does technically work in many instances even when the qualifying OS is not replaced. I think I mentioned this previously, perhaps not in this thread, not sure. When I installed Win 8 Pro I replaced my Win 7 installation as that was the qualifying OS that allowed me to use the lower priced upgrade media. Previously I had replaced Vista with the Win 7 upgrade.

Also unfortunately MS does not prevent this action. Since it is allowed technically to occur many believe it is allowed to occur by MS. Just look at the double install scenario we had with Win 7. Install once, do not activate, immediately install again and activate. I think most of you remember what I'm talking about.

I feel a little uncomfortable when people suggest leaving Win 7 and installing Win 8 in a dual boot, even without another qualifying OS. I believe based on this statement

"You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way."
    you have to replace Win 7 with Win 8. It does not say you can only use Win 7 or Win 8 it says you no longer retain any rights for Win 7 as long as Win 8 is installed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast