Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Live Tiles not working when clicked but update on start screen?

OK, this is an upgrade from W7 install. At first these all seemed to work? This is a Dell XPS 8500 and there were some suggested DELL drivers that should be installed after W8. One was the video driver for the ATI card that would make the Catalyst Control Center work again.

I do NOT recall in what order some things were done, such as turn down the UAC to stop the black/dark screen?

In the beginning for instance the Store worked but I did nothing with it. Weather defaulted to London England and when opened it showed more London info.

I know I changed the UAC and updated the video driver after checking this.

At some point I opened Weather and added my city and then deleted London after making my city the default. That showed my city data.

After a day or so I discovered that NONE of the Start Live Tiles work when clicked? They do UPDATE on the start screen though?

I've searched the web and I am NOT alone with this problem it seems.

I don't the suggested 'fixes' to no avail :
    • Run SFC and no problems found.
    • Reset UAC to the default position
    • Run WSRESET.EXE
    • Run the Tile FIXIT, no problems found
    • Turned of McAfee ISS A/V and FW

Last thing is to do an OS Reset, but I'm reluctant to do that and possibly lose some programs and/or data.

Anyone else have this problem and solve it?

Irv S.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also upgraded to Win8 from Win7. I have an old Dell 620 desktop and all went well until I had the same problem you did. I went to the Microsoft forums and found that I had a copy of Sage Thumbs. It was recommended that it be removed. After I did that, all was well. Here's the link to the orginal post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-b63510760b8e

I hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, sorry, should have mentioned that I saw forum entries for Sage, Avast, and I think another app, but I don't have those.

It seems MANY have this problem. Only 'real' solution I found is basically a CLEAN install which I'm not interested in doing. One suggestion is a REFRESH, but it isn't too clear what you WILL lose? It said basically programs from disk or web, but it isn't clear if this means ALL or just those done AFTER the update? In either case I'd hope MS comes up with and answer for this SOON.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Refresh will make you lose all non metro apps, but your documents and other data will remain untouched. Metro apps will be kept too.

Most likely there is an application causing that. My first suspicion would be security apps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Refresh will make you lose all non metro apps, but your documents and other data will remain untouched. Metro apps will be kept too.

Most likely there is an application causing that. My first suspicion would be security apps.
    That is the problem, lose all non-metro apps... this was over W7, about 4 months of usage, and since this was a new computer, a lot of stuff was brought over from the old XP system. Have the OS on a 128GB SSD and a 1TB data drive in 2 partitions. Lose the connection and even Registry entries for all these, plus whatever is in the USER folders for those app would be catastrophic. I can't afford to do that or take a chance.

It really isn't a big risk as I have Norton Ghost 15 running. That is I think it will work. Have NOT tried that under W8, and there IS a problem with it. Unfortunately the Windows Upgrade Advisor didn't flag it, like W7's did, and Norton knew it wouldn't work and shortly after W7 release released Ver 15. Not this time, the Advisor didn't flag it, and it seems Norton is 'surprised' on the problem that it says your license is not valid? They have no fix and were unaware of it? Surprising since CP's and I'd assume they were partners with MS on this and got the OS sooner than release? So I'm not sure it will either save correctly OR restore, so I'm not sure I want to try the REFRESH?

I did disable McAfee though and tried again. I have NOT removed it though. This is a Dell and it was shipped with a 15 month McAfee license but NO media. I don't even know what the license number is? I've seen no mention of McAfee being the problem though, so I'll not go down that road unless I know? I do have another use of the Norton ISS from the 3 PC license I could install if McAfee is the culprit though.

I'm holding off upgrading my other W7 system that is 2 1/2 years old, losing data or applications on that one is OUT OF THE QUESTION and its SSD is smaller and doesn't have as much free space as the Dell does.
    Last edited by irvs; 2012-11-01 at 12:29. Reason: Added months

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you try using system restore to go back to a point where you know everything was working?

Windows 8 allows you to add your apps so that a refresh point will reinstall them as well, but that would restore your system to its current state, which is unhealthy.

Thanks
    You would not loose the connection to the data on the 1 Tb drive. Simply use the approved method to change the pointers to the correct data folders in the new OS.

I have had my data folders, mail folders, everything in separate partitions for years. I have clean installed OS's from Vista to Win 7 to Win 8 DP to Win 8 CP to Win 8 RP and finally to Win 8 Pro and never lost a single bit of data. All I had to do when I installed Win 8 Pro on 2 separate PC's is to use this method to change the pointers in the new OS to the existing data folders on the separate partition (drive) for each PC. Easy.

Yes I did have to install all my apps, but my PCs are running Win 8 Pro flawlessly with the newest versions of my app and no lost data.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-01 at 12:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    You would not loose the connection to the data on the 1 Tb drive. Simply use the approved method to change the pointers to the correct data folders in the new OS.

I have had my data folders, mail folders, everything in separate partitions for years. I have clean installed OS's from Vista to Win 7 to Win 8 DP to Win 8 CP to Win 8 RP and finally to Win 8 Pro and never lost a single bit of data. All I had to do when I installed Win 8 Pro on 2 separate PC's is to use this method to change the pointers in the new OS to the existing data folders on the separate partition (drive) for each PC. Easy.

Yes I did have to install all my apps, but my PCs are running Win 8 Pro flawlessly with the newest versions of my app and no lost data.
    Medico, not OS files/folders that is on the other drive but in my wife's case games and tools/apps. Games I know also have entries in the USER folders. There is no way I can afford to lose those and still live in the house since it is my wife's machine.

Thanks
    OK, got it. Good Luck on fixing the problems. I do not have any other suggestions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Can you try using system restore to go back to a point where you know everything was working?

Windows 8 allows you to add your apps so that a refresh point will reinstall them as well, but that would restore your system to its current state, which is unhealthy.
    I checked and I have ONE Restore point. The day of install it looks like, and I looked at the affected files and it is everything that was updated, FireFox, Thunderbird, some MS Updates, and all the Dell files for drivers. Worst part, reading the stuff to be re-installed says that they may not work. I am not willing to take that chance if I'll not be able to boot. I'll wait for Norton to fix Ghost I guess and back up the C: drive before I try would seem prudent here?

The system doesn't seem 'unhealthy' at this point. Other than the live tiles not working when opened, all other aspects of the system seem to be OK. Also I would usually turn off SYSTEM RESTORE as Norton Ghost is run and that 'almost' serves the same purpose. No, it really doesn't handle system files only, but since we take images often it is fairly easy to go back to a known operating system.

I was thinking if I do get stuck I'd restore W7 and start over, saving away the Thunderbird mailbox so not to lose any e-mails, and then 'start over'.

Still I'm hoping for an MS solution or someone that knows how to fix this with re-installing anything?

I guess the RESTORE would be a better choice than a REFRESH though?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Restore wouldn't be really an issue. The worst that could happen would be you needing to add all those updates again, which Windows would probably do for you automatically (at least detection wise). I would do that, if it was happening with me. A system restore does not compromise system integrity in any way. What you will have is a system as it was when the system restore was created (in terms of system files - no documents and other files will be touched).

Thanks
    Can you uninstall and reinstall the apps that are not working.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, that WORKED!!!

Lost the USERID picture, had to reset Weather, but it and all other tiles work. ATI CCC driver is having a problem, both ATI and DELL have drivers but all need to be told to run even with 'errors', then CCC opens up.

Other device drivers may be needed? Had to re-install the LinkSys AE2500 to make the Internet connection for instance.

I'll need to run Windows Update I guess and then see what needs updating, again...

Thanks for the assist and pushing me to do this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm glad that it worked .

Now you can add one update at a time, maybe, and make sure everything is working, after each update. Like that you can determine the update that causes the issue and remove it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The LinkSys AE2500 is a problem now. Re-boots have it un-installed or disabled. Have to either install the s/w again or disable/enable to get it working. As long as the system is not shut-off it stays working on re-boots. Overnight, doesn't. This happened before and eventually started to work fine.

Also failing, like before on the Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Driver, on Windows Update. Thought this was due to an install of this via the Dell d/l. Seems like that isn't the case? Error wasn't much help but it sort of implies that the computer had a later driver?

Updated Firefox and Thunderbird and it still works OK, but I guess a re-boot after a power off later today will help determine if these are truly OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast