Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 license

In todays Windows Secrets newsletter Tracey Capen states "You can buy 5 upgrade licenses for $40." A literal interpretation of this tells me that my $40 purchase allows me to install 8 on 5 different machines. I cannot believe that MS is that generous. Am I wrong? Rich

Thanks
    That should have been 5 upgrade licenses for $40 each. Would be nice wouldn't it. LOL!

I believe Tracey was referring to the fact that any one user is only allowed to purchase up to 5 licenses at this price.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, hello.
    I have had a major crash here and would like to D/L install W-8 again. I still have the key ! Every time that I try the install, it wants another payment. How can I get round this ?
    At the moment, I am on RP.

Thanks
    So I take it you did not burn the ISO file to DVD or Flash, or even saved the ISO file to your PC.

I am unsure of where or if you can download the ISO file just yet. I know the email you were sent to confirm your purchase has a link to purchase a DVD for $15. You might have to call MS support (There is 90 day free support.)

I think I found it. In the email receipt, near the top:

If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here.
    Click on here and it takes you to the download. (It does not work here. You must access it from your email receipt)
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-01 at 17:31.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Too bad. Was hoping to sell my other 4 copies at $20 each, make back my investment and buy another copy. From there the possibilities would be endless. I could probably join the 1% in a year or two. Another dream shattered. Rich

Thanks
    Oh noooo! I guess I'll have to keep working. Darn!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    With reference to post #4, the 90 day free support you refer to Ted is, I assume, only for activation problems. Is that so?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I am not sure Roy. I believe it might be for all support issues, but I could be wrong.

I see bbearren has posted the link to support below and confirms the 90 day free support is for all support issues not just activation.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-01 at 17:33.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Medico, hello.
    I have had a major crash here and would like to D/L install W-8 again. I still have the key ! Every time that I try the install, it wants another payment. How can I get round this ?
    At the moment, I am on RP.

You should have received a confirmation letter/receipt from Microsoft with your original purchase. There is a hyperlink in that letter that is supposed to allow you to re-download Windows 8 if you need to.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    All fixed, Medico.
    After a few hours, I am good again. what was needed was a link to "Windows8-Setup.exe" and I was away. This time, after the site opened, it asked me for the keys and I gladly typed them in and success was had. JP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    With reference to post #4, the 90 day free support you refer to Ted is, I assume, only for activation problems. Is that so?

The 90 day support is for any and all Windows 8 related support issues, not just installation/activation issues, to my understanding. Go to www.support.microsoft.com and click on "Get live help" in the sub-header, then click on "Windows 8" just to the right. If you look on the live support page under the Windows 8 menu, there is a wide range of issues one may click on. (These are all live links, by the way):

Windows 8

Select a topic
    And most of those have sub-menus that slide out of the right side of the page.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, hello. You wrote : There is a hyperlink in that letter that is supposed to allow you to re-download Windows 8 if you need to.

Indeed there is, I relocated that message from MS and on clicking on "here", I was taken to the very same address to D/L again. If only I could have remembered where this note was. Senior moment. Thanks. JP.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Damn, I needed a good laugh!! $40 EACH, up to a max of 5.

Geeesh, still laughing. That's too funny. Thanks

$8 a piece, get 'em while they last...

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Drew, where do you get Win 8 Pro licences for $8 a piece, or are you joking?

Hello bbearren, I tried the links you listed before I saw your post, but none of them, as far as I could see, would get me a free online chat session with a Microsoft technician. It appeare to me that for that I would have to pay, except for activation problems, or am I missing something?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, he is joking based on the first post in this thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast