Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Download the ISO file for Win 8

If you neglected to save the ISO file you downloaded, and thus do not have the DVD, there are 2 methods to get the DVD.

Both involve the receipt that MS emailed to you

First: Near the top is a link to download the ISO file using your key:

If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here.

You will need to click the here in your email. The one I included above does not work as a link.

Second: To order a DVD for $15 there is a link near the bottom of the email receipt:

To always have the software as physical backup media at hand, order your personal backup DVD now.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-01 at 12:30.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One word of warning: if you should happen to read and use the link in the email on an operating system which is not the same 'bittedness' (32 vs. 64) as the system you originally used for your download, you will likely get an ISO file with the 'bittedness' of the current system rather than that of the system you originally used (and upgraded). Depending on your intent this could be considered either a bug or a feature (I used it to get an additional 32-bit download from which to create a 32-bit ISO after having gotten a 64-bit download for my original upgrade: while the hardware I was using to get the second download definitely supported 64-bit Win8 Pro, it was running 32-bit Win7 - and, fortunately, re-upgrading the original hardware with the 32-bit ISO encountered no hitches - it even re-activated immediately).
    Last edited by - bill; 2012-11-01 at 17:27.

4. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, hello.
    Just out of curiosity, where is this link to D/L an .iso file. I do not see it nowhere. If I click on "here" I get an .exe file. I could place here a .jpg of my screen of the note from MS that enabled my D/L, it shows no link to an .iso. Just curious. JP.

Thanks
    The .exe will take you back to the Win 8 Pro installation screens. You would have to go through the options again to save the ISO file. It is not as straight forward as the Win 7 downloads were at this point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

6. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, sorry for the repeat. >>> First: Near the top is a link to download the ISO file using your key:

>>> If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here.

Here is a copy of my message from MS, can you point me to this link ( option ) to D/L the .iso ? Do I have to go through the full D/L first, 1 hour 50 minutes here, today, before I can save this D/L to a folder and then make the .iso and again further burn to a DVD ? Feel free to think that I am too dense and I should send my machine back to the store even if the lights are still on here.

Here it is :Medico.jpg

Thanks
    It's the Blue "Here" at the top, and yes you most likely will have to download again. That is why I recommend every time to burn the ISO file to DVD, even if you are going to use the desktop installation method. The icon for the desktop installation remains, even when you burn the ISO file to DVD.

Sorry for your download time. Mine was approx.. 14 minutes.

I do not believe the ISO file is available for separate download yet. Perhaps once the special pricing is over, this might them become available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You know what, Medico ? Patience is a virtue. First, my D/L was 50 minutes, I got carried away. Being virtuous, I initiated the D/L again and THEN saw the options that you mentioned before. I got the .iso on a 4 G key and then burned the it to a DVD -R. All is well that ends well. I had it done afore I read this last of yours. Thanks for your patience,. JP.

Thanks
    Patience is indeed a virtue. I am glad things worked out. Unfortunately there are many people out there that did not burn the installation media and have not created a Repair Disk. I hope they do not have future problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You got my attention again, Medico. A repair disk, hey ? Gone out looking for this. Be patient. JP.

Thanks
    Deleted by poster
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-09 at 13:40.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

12. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Done and burned ! Thanks a mega. I looked and looked again for this option, the misnomer got me, windows 7 File Recovery. Not proper.

This brings another question, if I may. In Control Panel what can one do with "Recovery" ? I click on it and nothing happens. Have you tried this ? ( What a question ! )

You really know your stuff and I abuse the fact, I hope that you have as much fun out of this as I have. Jean.

Thanks
    Handcuff, Control Panel > Recovery should cause the System Restore Window to open. Are you sure its not hiding behind the current Window? Try minimizing your active Windows one at a time.

Jerry

14. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jerry. I have not talked to you for a while.
    OK, I trust you, the Recovery ought to start something but here , it does not. If I go to all apps using the WinKey-Q, then go to System, I get after typing in "Recovery" all that I fancy should come up via the Control Panel -> Recovery. So, I have a way to reach this but not the accepted way.

As I wrote to Medico, patience is a virtue, I clicked on the Control Panel -> Recovery, waited one minute on the Desktop, nothing else hiding any action but nothing, zilch, ever came up. Is your machine working in this regard ? We are going to master this goldarn machine some day.

The rest of it is fine, I got Office 2010 running but a french version, matters not as I am familiar enough with it to not really need all the balloons and such. I might spring for the English overlay at $33.00, sound like a plus to me. I still miss the Office 2K but one can not stop progress.

Be good. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-11-08 at 18:31.

Thanks
    These are the 2 Recovery screens I get:

1) Recovery from Control Panel:

Recovery CP.jpg

2) Recovery from Metro Search, Settings

RecoveryMetroApp.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Had a brain freeze. For some reason I thought you were using Windows 7. Anyway, in Windows 8, when Im in the desktop and click on the Classic Shell orb, then go to Control Pane > Recovery, I get an Advance Recovery Tools window. Hitting Windows key + C brings up the charms bar. Click on settings> Control Panel> recovery brings up the same Advanced recovery screen. Hitting Windows key + W, and typing Recovery, then clicking on recovery gets me the same screen. Try all of these and see if any work.

Jerry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast