2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 pricing question.

Hi to all,
    I have a Hauppauge TV tuner in my present Dell Windows 7 computer and record TV with a Comcast card into Media Center. I just purchased another Dell computer that has Windows 8 installed. I haven’t plugged it in yet but I am sure it is only the standard Windows 8 and not the Pro version which I have been told is the only version that includes Media Center. There is a dearth of information in the box – only a Quick Start Guide and no information concerning Windows 8 not even a registration number. There is a lot of information on the internet and in Windows Secrets about upgrading to Windows 8 Pro but I am confused by all the various prices. I see it being sold from $39.99 to over $150.00. Is it true if I up-grade from XP, Vista, or
    Windows 7 I can buy a program that will update and license up to 5 of my other computers to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 but if I upgrade from Windows 8 it will cost me $69.99 for a single Windows Pro Pack license?

My wireless network consists of 1 Windows XP laptop, 1 Windows Vista laptop, 2 Windows 7 desktop computers and I will be adding the new Dell desktop to the network. Most of the other computers are not converting at this time, they want to see what problems I have first. I plan to remove the TV Tuner from the old Dell and install it in the brand new Dell with Windows 8. Can someone tell me the most economical way to update my current Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro?
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    That is correct. There have been a few articles about this unfair pricing for those buying new Win 8 PC's. At this point I am not aware of any other way. It seems all the present Win 8 PC's available have the Standard version.

Can you return the PC and exchange it for a similar Win 7 PC that will qualify for the much less priced $14.99 upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2012-11-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its $39.99 between now and Jan 31 if you currently have Windows 7 or Windows XP SP3. You can do this for up to 5 PCs that you own that have qualifying OS. There is no special software to buy to get this deal. Just keep in mind that if you have 5 PCs to upgrade, its $199.95, not $39.99 for all 5.

The $69.99 upgrade to pro is for systems like yours with Windows 8 standard already installed. I'm afraid that is your only real option. Or take it back and buy one with Pro already on it.

EDIT: Ted beat me to it.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-11-01 at 16:50.
    Chuck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2012-11-01)

Thanks
    You gotta be quick around here when I'm signed on Chuck, LOL
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Doc Brown and Medico,
    I really do not want to return the PC and try to find one with Windows 8 Pro installed.

It appears that I have 3 options:
    1. Buy a $69.99 Pro upgrade,
    2. Find a substitute program that will also record TV on my present Windows 8 computer. Anyone know of any?
    3. Or since I still have an unregistered copy of Windows 7 Home (I bought a 3 pack and only used it twice) install it on the new computer thus
    qualifying for a $39.99 upgrade. This really seems like a roundabout way of ending up with what I want. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'GG',

Use #3.

But, here's a fourth suggestion to consider. DL the $40 Upgrade. ( IF, your present Win8 won't allow the DL, use another machine) Burn the DVD. On your current Win8, delete all drives, format, create a drive (partition), clean install 8, telling it to keep nothing. When it's done, go format the 'other' drive (partition) for a Data drive. Costs $40, saves mucking about w/ 7.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I know VLC can take over the DVD playback chores. Since I do not use it I do not know about the TV portion of your problem.

The unused Win 7 license could be the real key. If you install that, then go to the page I linked to, you can qualify for the $14.99 upgrade pricing. You most likely do not have to do any of the upgrades for Win 7 when you install it. Do the basic install, then go right to the Win 8 Upgrade page and start the process.

It only takes a few minutes to go throught the process and MS will send you a promo code (I believe that's how it works) which will discount the $39.99 to $14.99.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-02 at 06:02.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted,

Only if the Win7 machine was purchased w/in the right timeline will the $15 offer apply. June something to end of January.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I have heard of other doing just this and being accepted. It's worth trying. Otherwise this is just an unfair pricing issue.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sure hard to make sense of it, that's true.

D

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all and thanks for the response,
    Just to close this topic, I chickened out and returned the computer to the dealer and purchased another model that had Windows 7 and also purchased the Windows 8 Professional upgrade so I should be good to go. Thanks again. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Good luck with that! You should not have any problems. By the way did the Win 8 Pro upgrade come directly from MS or from the PC manufacturer? If it came directly from MS, then doing a Custom Install of Win 8 will get rid of all the junkware the manufacturer installs on their PC's. That could be a great time to do this as your apps are not installed anyway.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico,
    No, not from Microsoft, I picked it up at Best Buy.
    I will have to find a program (PC Decrapifier) to run on the new computer before I install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade.

Thanks
    Yes you got it from Best Buy, but is it an official MS DVD or a DVD from the PC Manufacturer. The Win 8 Upgrade version that's branded from the PC manufacturer will have the manufacturer's branded junk. An official MS disk will not have the junk. You might not need to use PCDecrapifier (I also have this fine app in my arsenal)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'GG',

Very cool! Nice if any thoughts were put forth that aided your actions.

The simple, easy solution to dealing w/ any bundled, unwanted, junk on that pre-loaded, off-the-shelf machine is just tell the Win8 Install to "Keep Nothing". Clear & format the drive where it's going & tell it to "Keep Nothing". Done like dinner If, it has no Data drive, already, you would, also, have an opportunity to create that @ the onset of the install steps.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg