Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win8 Vs WinXP OS Size

Hi,
    I upgraded a 2005 WinXP system to Win8 Pro without issue - upgrade & updates ran for 7 hrs, however. Everything is running well, however, hard drive space seems amiss. Win8Pro with the Media Center add-on gobbled up most (26gb) of my available 30gb hard drive. I now have only 3.25gb Free Space. My installed Program files use 2.5gb & all User Files use 1gb. When I compare an Acronis backup for both systems Win8 takes 15gb whereas WinXP requires only 6.5gb.

I guess I am surprised/confused at the loss of Free Space - should Win8 + Media Center Used Space take 2X more than WinXP ???
    Can I simply delete "Windows-old" Files (5.3gb) that apparently the upgrade created???

Thanks for clearing the fog,
    Roger

Thanks
    Yes, you can delete Windows.old. Use Cleanmgr.exe to do it - there will be an active button that says "Clean system files". Of course, there are several other options you can choose to clean, as well.

Another reason for the difference in size is the WinSxS folder; Windows XP didn't have it. That's probably around 7GB, and yes, you definitely need that!
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-01 at 18:03. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If you do not use hibernate, disable it. The hiberfil.sys file is large as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    If you do not use hibernate, disable it. The hiberfil.sys file is large as well.

Windows 8 uses hiberfil.sys to speed up boot times. Part of the system state on shutdown is hibernated, then recalled on startup. Without it, Windows 8 boots very similarly to Windows 7, from what I've read.

And it might be more difficult to get rid of than in Windows 7; I tried to kill it long enough to defragment the OS drive, then enable it again so that the file would be contiguous. My normally successful method did not work. I'm going to have to dig deeper into my bag of tricks.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggsf View Post
    Can I simply delete "Windows-old" Files (5.3gb) that apparently the upgrade created???
    If you're sure you won't need its contents later. When I was playing around with Win7 I noticed that performing a (non-'clean') upgrade from itself just about doubled the size of the system, and deleting WindowsOld didn't come close to returning it to the same size as a 'clean' install (i.e., one that formatted the target drive before installing). Since you're upgrading from XP there may be little to lose by doing such a 'clean' install rather than the conventional 'upgrade', and considerable space to gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    [FONT=georgia][SIZE=2] Windows 8 uses hiberfil.sys to speed up boot times. Part of the system state on shutdown is hibernated, then recalled on startup. Without it, Windows 8 boots very similarly to Windows 7, from what I've read.
    Bummer, since I never use hibernate on my desktop, just standby. One of the few things that impressed me about Win8 was its boot speed; now, not so much (though it is kind of clever, I'd prefer just seeing the boot files reordered for optimal fetching - as already occurs to some extent - and the boot processing streamlined). I sure hope that Microsoft was sufficiently intelligent to take into account the possibility that while the user was unaware that any hibernation state was being held s/he might modify the system in some way that would cause problems when the (now obsolete) hibernated state was restored: while it's not a common occurrence, those of us who multi-boot have done such things from time to time.

Thanks
    The method shown in my link does work to disable it. During the day my PC is put to sleep when I leave it. At night I shut it down. It boots quicker than Win 7 did. Perhaps that would be even quicker if I hibernated, but since it's just once per day, no sweat. My PC wakes from sleep very quickly so that is not an issue either.

I guess I am one of those that believes the PC should be shut down when not in use for an extended period. I know others argue that it's not necessary, but I'm always thinking green and saving energy. Please I know all the arguments. This is just the way I do it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, do you have fast boot enabled? (should be enabled by default):
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

If you have fast boot enabled, you are still using Hyberfile.sys :
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...windows-8.aspx

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

Windows 8 uses hiberfil.sys to speed up boot times. Part of the system state on shutdown is hibernated, then recalled on startup. Without it, Windows 8 boots very similarly to Windows 7, from what I've read.

And it might be more difficult to get rid of than in Windows 7; I tried to kill it long enough to defragment the OS drive, then enable it again so that the file would be contiguous. My normally successful method did not work. I'm going to have to dig deeper into my bag of tricks.
    That's interesting to know no wonder my boot times weren't spectacular. Disabling that is one of the first things I do on install.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thirty GB is awfully small. I have 64 GB flash drives that I bought for thirty dollars. I suggest you check a computer store and buy a new or used drive that is larger, or go dumpster diving or its equivalent.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    We have huge drives, these days, so why disable a file that takes up just a few GB?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    We have huge drives, these days, so why disable a file that takes up just a few GB?
    I guess I don't know whether it's a laptop or a desktop, but with little more than 10% free space I think the user could use a second hard drive, or a larger drive if it is a single drive machine. The problem is not now, although he appears to be taking a performance hit, but the future, as his data grows.

Thanks
    I do not have a hiberfil.sys file so no I do not have fast boot enabled. I do not use Hibernate, and see no reason for it on my system. Hibernate is always disabled on my systems.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-02 at 12:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    As Clint says, hiberfile.sys only takes a few gigs and my fast boot is almost as fast as recovering from sleep. I have my laptop configured to sleep when I close the lid and Windows 8 automatically shuts my PC down after some time period I have yet to discover. I know its a shutdown because I see the BIOS screen briefly before I'm back in the OS. Boot time is extremely fast, only slightly longer than restoring from sleep. Its well worth it to me for the 3 gigs hyberfile.sys takes up for the faster boot and I'm not wasting any energy. It would be a different story if I was pushed for disk space. But everyone has their own preferences.

Jerry

Thanks
    To free up more space, if you have $Windows.~BT on your system, that's a few GB, as well. It contains rollback files and such. Cleanmgr.exe can get rid of it, to. This method is quite simple and effective.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    OK, I enabled hibernate, and rebooted to enable it fully. I then shutdown (The shutdown icon I created as shown elsewhere did not actually set the info as stated) using both the Charms Bar shutdown and Classic Shell shutdown. Upon reboot, the boot time does seem quicker, perhaps half the normal time. If I get a chance I will check it.

The hiberfil.sys file is 6.8 Gb in size.

I suppose I will keep it for a while and see how things go.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast